Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Install TV cable outlet

I would like to install a TV cable outlet in a wall that currently does
not have one. I have complete access to the floor from my unfinished
basement, but I'm not quite sure what to do.

Here are the steps I think I need to take:

1) Cut a hole in the wall next to a stud to mount an electrical box on it.
2) Drill from the basement up into the wall (*** how do I do this? ***)
3) Fish the wire up from the basement into the wall and into the
electrical box.
4) Attach faceplate
5) Watch TV

Can anyone offer any insight on how to achieve step 2? I'm extremely
nervous about drilling through a stud or some other important part of
the house.

Thanks!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 15:42:07 GMT, Gary Poltergeist
wrote:

I would like to install a TV cable outlet in a wall that currently does
not have one. I have complete access to the floor from my unfinished
basement, but I'm not quite sure what to do.

Here are the steps I think I need to take:

1) Cut a hole in the wall next to a stud to mount an electrical box on it.
2) Drill from the basement up into the wall (*** how do I do this? ***)
3) Fish the wire up from the basement into the wall and into the
electrical box.
4) Attach faceplate
5) Watch TV

Can anyone offer any insight on how to achieve step 2? I'm extremely
nervous about drilling through a stud or some other important part of
the house.

Thanks!

Your steps are correct. For #1, don't worry about being next to a
stud, because you have no way to nail into that stud. Just make sure
you are between studs that are not likely to have pipes or wires
between them already. You can get boxes made for mounting directly on
the drywall. They are called "old work" boxes as opposed to new work
boxes that are used before drywall is in place..

For number 2, figure out where the wall is by making measurements to
anything that comes through the basement ceiling already. Then use a
3/4 inch or 1 inch wood bit to drill up through the subfloor and 2x4
plate into the wall cavity. That can be a little nerve racking if you
aren't 100% sure you are in the right place.

A simpler alternative is to just drill a smaller hole (the size of the
cable) down through the floor behind your TV an inch or so from the
wall. If the room is carpeted, you can remove the cable later and not
even notice the hole. Just make sure your drill bit doesn't snag the
carpet while drilling and pull a runner across the room ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 30, 10:42*am, Gary Poltergeist wrote:
I would like to install a TV cable outlet in a wall that currently does
not have one. *I have complete access to the floor from my unfinished
basement, but I'm not quite sure what to do.

Here are the steps I think I need to take:

1) Cut a hole in the wall next to a stud to mount an electrical box on it..
2) Drill from the basement up into the wall (*** how do I do this? ***)
3) Fish the wire up from the basement into the wall and into the
electrical box.
4) Attach faceplate
5) Watch TV

Can anyone offer any insight on how to achieve step 2? *I'm extremely
nervous about drilling through a stud or some other important part of
the house.

Thanks!

Why can't you just drill a 3/8" hole through the floor close to the
wall, and just have the cable come up through the floor? You are not
going to see it anyway behind the TV, and you don't have to cut any
holes in sheetrock. You do not need to put it in a box.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Gary Poltergeist" wrote in message
I would like to install a TV cable outlet in a wall that currently does not
have one. I have complete access to the floor from my unfinished basement,
but I'm not quite sure what to do.

Here are the steps I think I need to take:

1) Cut a hole in the wall next to a stud to mount an electrical box on it.
2) Drill from the basement up into the wall (*** how do I do this? ***)
3) Fish the wire up from the basement into the wall and into the
electrical box.
4) Attach faceplate
5) Watch TV

Can anyone offer any insight on how to achieve step 2? I'm extremely
nervous about drilling through a stud or some other important part of the
house.

Thanks!

You can give yourself a lot easier time by not installing a box for the TV
cable. It is not a requirement. This means you only have to find a space
between two studs. If you have outlets on the same wall, that will help you
determine where the bottom plate for that wall is if they are fed from the
bottom.

Posted to alt.home.repair

step two:

after you have your box hole and before you put the box in it, use a 24" 3/8
bit and drill DOWN through your box hole through the bottom plate into the
basement.

leave the bit there until you locate it in the basement, then go down and
tie a string to it and pull it back out.

then use the string to pull the coax.

steve

"Gary Poltergeist" wrote in message
I would like to install a TV cable outlet in a wall that currently does not
have one. I have complete access to the floor from my unfinished basement,
but I'm not quite sure what to do.

Here are the steps I think I need to take:

1) Cut a hole in the wall next to a stud to mount an electrical box on it.
2) Drill from the basement up into the wall (*** how do I do this? ***)
3) Fish the wire up from the basement into the wall and into the
electrical box.
4) Attach faceplate
5) Watch TV

Can anyone offer any insight on how to achieve step 2? I'm extremely
nervous about drilling through a stud or some other important part of the
house.

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I would like to install a TV cable outlet in a wall that currently does
not have one. I have complete access to the floor from my unfinished
basement, but I'm not quite sure what to do.

Here are the steps I think I need to take:

1) Cut a hole in the wall next to a stud to mount an electrical box on it.
2) Drill from the basement up into the wall (*** how do I do this? ***)
3) Fish the wire up from the basement into the wall and into the
electrical box.
4) Attach faceplate
5) Watch TV

Can anyone offer any insight on how to achieve step 2? I'm extremely
nervous about drilling through a stud or some other important part of
the house.

Thanks!

Making a hole in the floor, like has been suggested is no more
nontaxable than the extra coax coming out of the box.

If you really want to put a box, what I do is take a coat hanger and
cut it short enough to make a drill bit. I drill the coat hanger thru
the floor next to the wall so you can see it from underneath.

Posted to alt.home.repair

very good points from the other replies. I use the hole next to the
baseboard method myself. you can usually get the cable between the tack
strip ( if you have carpet ) and the baseboard.

even if you go in the wall, you don't need a box for that either.

"Gary Poltergeist" wrote in message
I would like to install a TV cable outlet in a wall that currently does not
have one. I have complete access to the floor from my unfinished basement,
but I'm not quite sure what to do.

Here are the steps I think I need to take:

1) Cut a hole in the wall next to a stud to mount an electrical box on it.
2) Drill from the basement up into the wall (*** how do I do this? ***)
3) Fish the wire up from the basement into the wall and into the
electrical box.
4) Attach faceplate
5) Watch TV

Can anyone offer any insight on how to achieve step 2? I'm extremely
nervous about drilling through a stud or some other important part of the
house.

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Barker DLT wrote:
[...]

rather than using a "box" it is much easier to use an old work low
voltage ring. it's like a plastic old work box without the back.
basically just defines the hole and provides the two holes for the cover
plate screws, you can see right through into the wall with it. that's
what I did when I added a cable drop in my living room. less sharp
bends in the cable when you shove everything back into the wall that way.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

Why can't you just drill a 3/8" hole through the floor close to the
wall, and just have the cable come up through the floor? You are not
going to see it anyway behind the TV, and you don't have to cut any
holes in sheetrock. You do not need to put it in a box.

Thanks for all the replies so far guys. I wish I could drill a hole in
the floor, but there's one major issue with that - my wife!

"I don't want any holes in my floor".
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 30, 10:42*am, Gary Poltergeist wrote:
I would like to install a TV cable outlet in a wall that currently does
not have one. *I have complete access to the floor from my unfinished
basement, but I'm not quite sure what to do.

Here are the steps I think I need to take:

1) Cut a hole in the wall next to a stud to mount an electrical box on it..
2) Drill from the basement up into the wall (*** how do I do this? ***)
3) Fish the wire up from the basement into the wall and into the
electrical box.
4) Attach faceplate
5) Watch TV

Can anyone offer any insight on how to achieve step 2? *I'm extremely
nervous about drilling through a stud or some other important part of
the house.

Thanks!

Step 2: Make a hole in the sheet rock for the electrical box. Use a
flex bit to drill down into basement. Then drill up from basement if
hole is too small.

Or drill a very small pilot hole in front of box location. From the
basement locate pilot hole, measure 2" towards middle of wall and
drill up into the wall cavity. You can also drive a nail down for your
pilot hole if you don't have a thin enough drill bit. If you don't
want to drill a pilot hole where it can be seen, remove the molding
and drill or nail the pilot hole then replace the molding.
RW

Posted to alt.home.repair

Making a hole in the floor, like has been suggested is no more
nontaxable than the extra coax coming out of the box.

If you really want to put a box, what I do is take a coat hanger and
cut it short enough to make a drill bit. I drill the coat hanger thru
the floor next to the wall so you can see it from underneath.

So I should take off my baseboard to drill the hole down into the floor?
I'm worried I could drill right into a joist, or even worse, my main
support beam. What about the issue of drilling through the bottom stud
of the wall?

Posted to alt.home.repair

that's the whole idea of the little tiny hole and the coat hangar. If your
drill is still drilling after 1 1/2" then you've hit a joist. Then move
over an inch and go again.

"Gary Poltergeist" wrote in message
newsizYk.1384$si6.732@edtnps83...
Making a hole in the floor, like has been suggested is no more
nontaxable than the extra coax coming out of the box.

If you really want to put a box, what I do is take a coat hanger and
cut it short enough to make a drill bit. I drill the coat hanger thru
the floor next to the wall so you can see it from underneath.

So I should take off my baseboard to drill the hole down into the floor?
I'm worried I could drill right into a joist, or even worse, my main
support beam. What about the issue of drilling through the bottom stud of
the wall?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Gary Poltergeist wrote:

I would like to install a TV cable outlet in a wall that currently does
not have one. I have complete access to the floor from my unfinished
basement, but I'm not quite sure what to do.

Here are the steps I think I need to take:

1) Cut a hole in the wall next to a stud to mount an electrical box on it.
2) Drill from the basement up into the wall (*** how do I do this? ***)
3) Fish the wire up from the basement into the wall and into the
electrical box.
4) Attach faceplate
5) Watch TV

Can anyone offer any insight on how to achieve step 2? I'm extremely
nervous about drilling through a stud or some other important part of
the house.

Thanks!

Cut the hole in the middle of the stud cavity, you will be installing a
low voltage "ring" that clamps to the sheetrock, not a full box.

Locate the center of the cavity as best you can from below and drill up
with a 3/8" bit, no need for a hole much larger than the cable.

Push the cable up through the hole from below for a couple feet, then
reach in through the hole in the drywall (ring not installed yet) to
grab the cable and pull it through.

Slip the ring over the cable and install it to the drywall.

Terminate the coax with an "F" connector, and screw it to the "F" barrel
connector mounted to the cover plate.

Push the excess coax into the wall cavity and screw the cover plate in
place.

secure the cable with appropriate clips / staples.

I recommend using the modular connector faceplates such as those made by
Leviton since they allow you to easily add other connections later for
phone, network, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Gary Poltergeist" wrote in message
I would like to install a TV cable outlet in a wall that currently does not
have one. I have complete access to the floor from my unfinished basement,
but I'm not quite sure what to do.

Here are the steps I think I need to take:

1) Cut a hole in the wall next to a stud to mount an electrical box on it.
2) Drill from the basement up into the wall (*** how do I do this? ***)
3) Fish the wire up from the basement into the wall and into the
electrical box.
4) Attach faceplate
5) Watch TV

Can anyone offer any insight on how to achieve step 2? I'm extremely
nervous about drilling through a stud or some other important part of the
house.

Thanks!

For low voltage, use a backless box. They sell them at Home Depot and
similar stores. I'll give a link at the end of this. You want to drill up
from the bottom, and be sure you are inside the wall cavity. The easiest way
for an amateur to do this, is to get a 16" insulation support, it's a thin
steel rod 16" long. With a linesman pliers, cut one end of the support at
the steepest angle you can, insert the rod into a drill, and drill down from
above, at the location of the box opening, right through the flooring, up
against the molding. It will drill such a small hole, it won't be noticed.
Now go into the basement and with an extension bit, at least 3/8" diameter
drill up next to where you see the rod, being sure you are into the wall
cavity. Then push up your RG-6 and if necessary find it with a wire snake.
http://www.hometechsolutions.com/tec...v.html#ER-MP1P

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I would like to install a TV cable outlet in a wall that currently does
not have one. I have complete access to the floor from my unfinished
basement, but I'm not quite sure what to do.

Here are the steps I think I need to take:

1) Cut a hole in the wall next to a stud to mount an electrical box on it.
2) Drill from the basement up into the wall (*** how do I do this? ***)
3) Fish the wire up from the basement into the wall and into the
electrical box.
4) Attach faceplate
5) Watch TV

Can anyone offer any insight on how to achieve step 2? I'm extremely
nervous about drilling through a stud or some other important part of
the house.

Thanks!

Measure carefully from a reference point, then measure again to be
sure. Drill a 1/8" hole (you may need to purchase a long bit) that
your quite sure it will go through the center of the wall base plate.
Obviously, you want to avoid a stud. Once the small hole is drilled
shine a flashlight to see where you came through, then drill a large
enough hole that will allow the coax connector to fit. You don't
need a crimping kit if you buy coax of the length needed with fitted
ends.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Take your wife into the basement and show her there are already holes in
her floor. There are wires and pipes already coming through the floor.
In fact you may be able to use one of these 'existing' holes.

I used a refridgerator ice maker line hole to run a telephone wire
through rather than drill a new hole.

If she doesn't see the point when you have her in the basement then just
lock her down there until she does..You have our permission to skip to
step 5 (watch tv) while she's mulling it over.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Gary Poltergeist wrote:
I would like to install a TV cable outlet in a wall that currently
does not have one. I have complete access to the floor from my
unfinished basement, but I'm not quite sure what to do.

Here are the steps I think I need to take:

1) Cut a hole in the wall next to a stud to mount an electrical box
on it. 2) Drill from the basement up into the wall (*** how do I do
this? ***) 3) Fish the wire up from the basement into the wall and
into the electrical box.
4) Attach faceplate
5) Watch TV

Can anyone offer any insight on how to achieve step 2? I'm extremely
nervous about drilling through a stud or some other important part of
the house.

Thanks!

1. Remove the baseboard.
2. Cut into the drywall (below baseboard level). This will give you access
to the baseplate.
3. Drill thru the baseplate into the basement (need a LONG drill bit). Drop
some colored twine down the hole.
4. Pull up coax.
5. Put in an after-work box above the hole in the drywall.
6. Run coax up to box.
7. Replace baseboard.

I've run several wires, both coax and electrical, behind baseboards. It's a
simple solution.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 30, 11:05*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Gary Poltergeist wrote:
[...]

I would revise these excellent steps only slightly:
After cutting the low hole in the drywall behind the baseboard, use a
_long_ bit on the thinner side to drill a pilot hole down to the
basement.
From the basement, locate the pilot hole, and use it as the center
point to drill a hole a little larger than the coaxial cable straight
up inside the wall. This puts less tension on the coax as it comes up
through the stringer into the inside of the wall. (Just an extra
obsession of mine.)
Fish the coaxup through the hole up to where you're putting the box.
Replace the baseboard. (Patch the hole beforehand if you're feeling
particularly anal/compulsive, as I would.)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Gary Poltergeist wrote:
[...]

From the basement, locate the pilot hole, and use it as the center
point to drill a hole a little larger than the coaxial cable straight
up inside the wall. This puts less tension on the coax as it comes up
through the stringer into the inside of the wall. (Just an extra
obsession of mine.)
Fish the coaxup through the hole up to where you're putting the box.
Replace the baseboard. (Patch the hole beforehand if you're feeling
particularly anal/compulsive, as I would.)

Good idea! I suppose whether to drill a pilot hole might depend, too, on the
geometry and available tools.

One problem in removing baseboards is the corner miters. Sometimes you have
to start four baseboards back because of the way they overlap! No biggie,
though. This is a convenient excuse to take the baseboards outside, fill in
the nicks, sand, and repaint them.

Hint: Don't drive out the nails from the baseboard - cut them off from the
back.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Gary Poltergeist wrote:
[...]

From the basement, locate the pilot hole, and use it as the center
[...]

Drilling the pilot hole through the drywall just above the baseboard
would be a lot easier both in not removing the baseboard, and ease of
patching a small hole in the drywall.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pete C. wrote:

Gary Poltergeist wrote:
[...]

From the basement, locate the pilot hole, and use it as the center
[...]

That would work for most places. Good idea.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:

Pete C. wrote:

Gary Poltergeist wrote:
[...]

From the basement, locate the pilot hole, and use it as the center
[...]

The next step above that is to make the opening for the LV box and then
drill down via that hole using one of the flexi-bits and the guide tool.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 30, 9:42*am, Gary Poltergeist wrote:
I would like to install a TV cable outlet in a wall that currently does
not have one. *I have complete access to the floor from my unfinished
basement, but I'm not quite sure what to do.

Here are the steps I think I need to take:

1) Cut a hole in the wall next to a stud to mount an electrical box on it..
2) Drill from the basement up into the wall (*** how do I do this? ***)
3) Fish the wire up from the basement into the wall and into the
electrical box.
4) Attach faceplate
5) Watch TV

Can anyone offer any insight on how to achieve step 2? *I'm extremely
nervous about drilling through a stud or some other important part of
the house.

Thanks!

First you dont need a box, a mud plate is enough or just a wall plate
with integrated jack. I cut the hole 12 inches OC from the floor then
use my right angle drill and flex bit to drill down through the bottom
stud plate. When the drill pops through I tape the cable to the bit
(after un-chucking the drill), then pull the bit and cable out at once
in the basement.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pete C. wrote:
Gary Poltergeist wrote:
[...]

From the basement, locate the pilot hole, and use it as the center
[...]

Good point, and one I'll have to remember, since adding some drops here
and there has been on my list here for awhile. However, if you have an
odd paint color or wallpaper, even a tiny hole can be a pain to patch.
Split the difference- use a couple clean Stanley mini-wonderbars, and a
couple sheets of cardboard as shields, and slightly pry the baseboard
loose from the wall without removing it. Drill the pilot hole through
this crevice with one of the Real Long bits (often in the electrical
aisle next to the fish tapes), and then proceed with the hole for
old-work box and the cable fishing through the hole drilled from below.
Or if the baseboard is painted, just drill right through it on the top
edge- trivial to patch if wall is too hard to match.

Some of the bits sold to electricians even have an itty-bitty hole in
the spade part, to hook a wire on before you pull the drill back out.

--
aem (who will probably never get around to doing the work) sends....

Posted to alt.home.repair

I use an old car antena with a point filed in my drill.I drill at an
angle at the base of the wall ,than look under flour to see where it
came out.
Jr.
1/4 inch rod also works but you have to push harder,,,a long screw
driver will even drill a hole if it's in a drill

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutc...oodWorkingPage

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02 Dec 2008 01:11:01 GMT, Noahbuddy wrote:

wrote in news:24420-49334760-2102@storefull-
3273.bay.webtv.net:

Take your wife into the basement and show her there are already holes in
her floor. There are wires and pipes already coming through the floor.
In fact you may be able to use one of these 'existing' holes.

I used a refridgerator ice maker line hole to run a telephone wire
through rather than drill a new hole.

If she doesn't see the point when you have her in the basement then just
lock her down there until she does..You have our permission to skip to
step 5 (watch tv) while she's mulling it over.

She's probably speaking from experience of messy or botched projects by the
OP.

I thought locking the wife in the basement was the best suggestion so
far.
Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:

Pete C. wrote:
Gary Poltergeist wrote:
[...]

From the basement, locate the pilot hole, and use it as the center
[...]

Another good option in just pulling the baseboard back a bit.

The ultimate solution if you don't mind spending a few dollars on new
tools is the flexi-bits and the guide tool which let you drill the hole
straight down from above through the normal LV electrical box hole.

If you haven't seen these, they are essentially a short drill bit welded
onto the end of a long small diameter spring steel rod. The guide tool
is basically a handle bracket with a couple channels the drill shaft
fits in which allows you to reach the bit into the wall cavity through
the box hole and bend the shaft so the bit points straight down while
the drill (motor) is outside the wall cavity.
Posted to alt.home.repair
MLD MLD is offline

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
Pete C. wrote:

Gary Poltergeist wrote:
[...]

From the basement, locate the pilot hole, and use it as the center
[...]

Why not drill the pilot hole right at the bottom of the baseboard and
through the floor. If the hole is small enough it will never be noticed.
That's what the Geek Squad did in a friend's house. When I put in a cable
wire I didn't even use a box. Just attached the cable to the face plate and
fastened it right to the wallboard. No strain on the wire and it's been in
about 2 yrs now without a problem.
MLD

Posted to alt.home.repair
MLD MLD is offline

"RickH" wrote in message
[...]

Right--just posted something very similar to your comments about not needing
a box. I was able to see the bottom stud plate from the basement (through
the spaces of the floor boards) and with careful measurements was to come up
in the wall just where I wanted to be.
MLD