Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Install TV cable outlet

HeyBub wrote:

Kyle wrote:
On Nov 30, 11:05 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Gary Poltergeist wrote:
I would like to install a TV cable outlet in a wall that currently
does not have one. I have complete access to the floor from my
unfinished basement, but I'm not quite sure what to do.

Here are the steps I think I need to take:

1) Cut a hole in the wall next to a stud to mount an electrical box
on it. 2) Drill from the basement up into the wall (*** how do I do
this? ***) 3) Fish the wire up from the basement into the wall and
into the electrical box.
4) Attach faceplate
5) Watch TV

Can anyone offer any insight on how to achieve step 2? I'm extremely
nervous about drilling through a stud or some other important part
of the house.

Thanks!

1. Remove the baseboard.
2. Cut into the drywall (below baseboard level). This will give you
access to the baseplate.
3. Drill thru the baseplate into the basement (need a LONG drill
bit). Drop some colored twine down the hole.
4. Pull up coax.
5. Put in an after-work box above the hole in the drywall.
6. Run coax up to box.
7. Replace baseboard.

I've run several wires, both coax and electrical, behind baseboards.
It's a simple solution.

I would revise these excellent steps only slightly:
After cutting the low hole in the drywall behind the baseboard, use a
_long_ bit on the thinner side to drill a pilot hole down to the
basement.
From the basement, locate the pilot hole, and use it as the center
point to drill a hole a little larger than the coaxial cable straight
up inside the wall. This puts less tension on the coax as it comes up
through the stringer into the inside of the wall. (Just an extra
obsession of mine.)
Fish the coaxup through the hole up to where you're putting the box.
Replace the baseboard. (Patch the hole beforehand if you're feeling
particularly anal/compulsive, as I would.)

Good idea! I suppose whether to drill a pilot hole might depend, too, on the
geometry and available tools.

One problem in removing baseboards is the corner miters. Sometimes you have
to start four baseboards back because of the way they overlap! No biggie,
though. This is a convenient excuse to take the baseboards outside, fill in
the nicks, sand, and repaint them.

Hint: Don't drive out the nails from the baseboard - cut them off from the
back.

Drilling the pilot hole through the drywall just above the baseboard
would be a lot easier both in not removing the baseboard, and ease of
patching a small hole in the drywall.