Posted to alt.home.repair
MLD MLD is offline

Default Install TV cable outlet

"RickH" wrote in message
On Nov 30, 9:42 am, Gary Poltergeist wrote:
I would like to install a TV cable outlet in a wall that currently does
not have one. I have complete access to the floor from my unfinished
basement, but I'm not quite sure what to do.

Here are the steps I think I need to take:

1) Cut a hole in the wall next to a stud to mount an electrical box on it.
2) Drill from the basement up into the wall (*** how do I do this? ***)
3) Fish the wire up from the basement into the wall and into the
electrical box.
4) Attach faceplate
5) Watch TV

Can anyone offer any insight on how to achieve step 2? I'm extremely
nervous about drilling through a stud or some other important part of
the house.

Thanks!

First you dont need a box, a mud plate is enough or just a wall plate
with integrated jack. I cut the hole 12 inches OC from the floor then
use my right angle drill and flex bit to drill down through the bottom
stud plate. When the drill pops through I tape the cable to the bit
(after un-chucking the drill), then pull the bit and cable out at once
in the basement.

Right--just posted something very similar to your comments about not needing
a box. I was able to see the bottom stud plate from the basement (through
the spaces of the floor boards) and with careful measurements was to come up
in the wall just where I wanted to be.
MLD