Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 30A breaker feeding a 100A sub-panel?

I was visiting my brother's house during some basement remodeling, and
noticed that the electrical contractor had added a 100A loadcenter to feed
the new basement lights, etc.

The new 100A loadcenter is fed via a 30A double-pole breaker in in one of
the home's original two loadcenters. This struck me as being odd. After
consideration, it would seem that (as long as wires are properly sized) it
is not unsafe electrically but what does the electrical code specifiy?

Also, I would anticipate nuisance tripping of the 30A breaker feeding the
sub-panel, since there are several 15A and 20A breakers in the sub-panel and
even if a few are run near max it would exceed the 30A breaker rating.

Thoughts, anyone?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 27, 4:32�pm, "DesignGuy" wrote:
I was visiting my brother's house during some basement remodeling, and
noticed that the electrical contractor had added a 100A loadcenter to feed
the new basement lights, etc.

The new 100A loadcenter is fed via a 30A double-pole breaker in in one of
the home's original two loadcenters. This struck me as being odd. After
consideration, it would seem that (as long as wires are properly sized) it
is not unsafe electrically but what does the electrical code specifiy?

Also, I would anticipate nuisance tripping of the 30A breaker feeding the
sub-panel, since there are several 15A and 20A breakers in the sub-panel and
even if a few are run near max it would exceed the 30A breaker rating.

Thoughts, anyone?

probably not a issue unless all loads are on all the time.

take a look at most main panels, 100 amp main with at least 20 or
perhaps more 20 amp breaker slots.

what his mains capacity?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"DesignGuy" wrote in message
news
I was visiting my brother's house during some basement remodeling, and
noticed that the electrical contractor had added a 100A loadcenter to feed
the new basement lights, etc.

The new 100A loadcenter is fed via a 30A double-pole breaker in in one of
the home's original two loadcenters. This struck me as being odd. After
consideration, it would seem that (as long as wires are properly sized) it
is not unsafe electrically but what does the electrical code specifiy?

Also, I would anticipate nuisance tripping of the 30A breaker feeding the
sub-panel, since there are several 15A and 20A breakers in the sub-panel
and even if a few are run near max it would exceed the 30A breaker rating.

Thoughts, anyone?

Nothing improper about it at all. If it's determined that 30 amps @240 volts
or 60 amps @120 volts is adequate for the circuits being supplied, it'll be
fine. BTW you don't add up the amperage of the circuit breakers in the sub
panel to determine the necessary feeder size for the panel