Dan Caster

Default OT Ge breaker in Murray panel

I got a call from a friend asking where he could get a genuine Murray
hacr breaker. He had another friend help him with wiring for a heat
pump and the friend had put a GE hacr breaker in his Murray panel.
The electrical inspector insisted he change out the GE breaker for one
made by Murray.

I have not seen the panel, so there could be a good reason. But is
there anything in the NEC that requires breakers in a panel to be made
by the same manufacturer of the panel?

Dan
Richard Ferguson

There is a dealer in Denver that has Murray breakers, called Mr.
Breaker, I believe. I just picked up a 20 amp Murray breaker from him
the other day.

Richard

Dan Caster wrote:

I got a call from a friend asking where he could get a genuine Murray
hacr breaker. He had another friend help him with wiring for a heat
pump and the friend had put a GE hacr breaker in his Murray panel.
The electrical inspector insisted he change out the GE breaker for one
made by Murray.

I have not seen the panel, so there could be a good reason. But is
there anything in the NEC that requires breakers in a panel to be made
by the same manufacturer of the panel?

Dan

Roy Jenson

Even if the breaker fits in the panel, the resulting combo is not
'UL listed' since Murray is certainly not going to apply for a
combo using their copetitor's products. Many times there is not a
problem but the manufacturer has not verified that. Then the
inspector rejects it. Seems kind of anal but thats the way the
system works.

Dan Caster wrote:

I got a call from a friend asking where he could get a genuine Murray
hacr breaker. He had another friend help him with wiring for a heat
pump and the friend had put a GE hacr breaker in his Murray panel.
The electrical inspector insisted he change out the GE breaker for one
made by Murray.

I have not seen the panel, so there could be a good reason. But is
there anything in the NEC that requires breakers in a panel to be made
by the same manufacturer of the panel?

Dan

PJ

"Dan Caster" wrote in message
m...
I got a call from a friend asking where he could get a genuine Murray
hacr breaker. He had another friend help him with wiring for a heat
pump and the friend had put a GE hacr breaker in his Murray panel.
The electrical inspector insisted he change out the GE breaker for one
made by Murray.

I have not seen the panel, so there could be a good reason. But is
there anything in the NEC that requires breakers in a panel to be made
by the same manufacturer of the panel?

Dan,
Yes. it is a fairly new code change. I believe 2002 but I'm not
absolutely sure of exactly when the code changed. The breaker
manufacturer has to match the panel manufacturer in all work that
will be inspected, currently. This means that panels that would have
passed 2 years ago with mixed breakers must be changed out to meet
the new code requirement in order to pass new or re-inspection. No
grand fathering.
PJ

Dan Caster

Thanks. I have not kept current with the NEC, and was wondering if
this was just an inspector that was sharp or one that was ornery. I
had a e-mail reply that explained the reasoning ( that some breakers
might allow a short circuit current that would damage some but not all
panels ). It sounds a bit to me tho that the next step is to require
the wire manufacturer to match the panel maker too.

Dan

"PJ" wrote in message news:WC27b.320 Dan,
Yes. it is a fairly new code change. I believe 2002 but I'm not
absolutely sure of exactly when the code changed. The breaker
manufacturer has to match the panel manufacturer in all work that
will be inspected, currently. This means that panels that would have
passed 2 years ago with mixed breakers must be changed out to meet
the new code requirement in order to pass new or re-inspection. No
grand fathering.
PJ

jim rozen

In article , Dan Caster says...

It sounds a bit to me tho that the next step is to require
the wire manufacturer to match the panel maker too.

And don't forget, the paint that goes on the outside of the
panel has to be approved too!

Jim

please reply to: