Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_2_] RBM[_2_] is offline

Default 30A breaker feeding a 100A sub-panel?

"DesignGuy" wrote in message
news
I was visiting my brother's house during some basement remodeling, and
noticed that the electrical contractor had added a 100A loadcenter to feed
the new basement lights, etc.

The new 100A loadcenter is fed via a 30A double-pole breaker in in one of
the home's original two loadcenters. This struck me as being odd. After
consideration, it would seem that (as long as wires are properly sized) it
is not unsafe electrically but what does the electrical code specifiy?

Also, I would anticipate nuisance tripping of the 30A breaker feeding the
sub-panel, since there are several 15A and 20A breakers in the sub-panel
and even if a few are run near max it would exceed the 30A breaker rating.

Thoughts, anyone?

Nothing improper about it at all. If it's determined that 30 amps @240 volts
or 60 amps @120 volts is adequate for the circuits being supplied, it'll be
fine. BTW you don't add up the amperage of the circuit breakers in the sub
panel to determine the necessary feeder size for the panel