Posted to alt.home.repair

Default direct vent vs. vent free gas fireplace

I'm planning to install a gas fireplace. Fortunately the location has direct
access to an unused flue on my chimney. What are the pros & cons of direct
vented vs. vent free, I haven't been able to find much on the web beyond the
fact that vent free will add moisture.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

On Nov 25, 7:41 am, "Jeff Dieterle" wrote:
I'm planning to install a gas fireplace. Fortunately the location has direct
access to an unused flue on my chimney. What are the pros & cons of direct
vented vs. vent free, I haven't been able to find much on the web beyond the
fact that vent free will add moisture.

My vent free also produces an odor - not so much as you notice when
you're using it, but when you go outside and come back in it will be
apparent. Not a gas smell, but a combustion smell. Also, after using
for several hours, the digital CO2 detector will show an increase but
never to the point of alarming. So IMHO, they're good for taking the
chill off or for mood stimulation, but not for long term use.

Red
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Red" wrote in message
On Nov 25, 7:41 am, "Jeff Dieterle" wrote:
I'm planning to install a gas fireplace. Fortunately the location has direct
access to an unused flue on my chimney. What are the pros & cons of direct
vented vs. vent free, I haven't been able to find much on the web beyond the
fact that vent free will add moisture.

My vent free also produces an odor - not so much as you notice when
you're using it, but when you go outside and come back in it will be
apparent. Not a gas smell, but a combustion smell. Also, after using
for several hours, the digital CO2 detector will show an increase but
never to the point of alarming. So IMHO, they're good for taking the
chill off or for mood stimulation, but not for long term use.

You really have a CO2 detector? Not a CO detector?

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

Which it will heat better. What do you mean specifically by don't assume the
vent isn't suitable? It's a clay tile lined chimney inside concrete block
veneered with brick.

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
It will also heat better, but as noted it may have an odor. Don't
assume that the available vent is suitable for the fireplace. Have it
checked by someone who really knows first.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

On Nov 25, 8:41 am, "Jeff Dieterle" wrote:
I'm planning to install a gas fireplace. Fortunately the location has direct
access to an unused flue on my chimney. What are the pros & cons of direct
vented vs. vent free, I haven't been able to find much on the web beyond the
fact that vent free will add moisture.

Also check your local codes. Unless they've changed things, they are
not legal in NY. Could be the same for other states, too. I don't
know.

Posted to alt.home.repair
JB JB is offline

On Nov 25, 8:41 am, "Jeff Dieterle" wrote:
I'm planning to install a gas fireplace. Fortunately the location has direct
access to an unused flue on my chimney. What are the pros & cons of direct
vented vs. vent free, I haven't been able to find much on the web beyond the
fact that vent free will add moisture.

I've been using a vent free inside an unused fireplace for about 7
years. Its great. We live in a split foyer (walk in and go up or
down) and our basement/family room is quite chilly in the winter. A
vented unit does little more than look pretty since 90% of the heat
goes up the chimney. Our flue is closed, the doors are open, and all
of the heat goes into the room. Keeping it on a low trickle is enough
to keep the room nice and toasty. I don't have any moisture or CO
issues (we have a detector in the nearby hallway.)

The flame on vented units tend to look more realistic. Our looks more
like a stove on high with fake logs around it (lots of blue). But
again, I'm more interested in the heat than the looks.

--Jeff
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 07:41:38 -0600, "Jeff Dieterle"
wrote:

I'm planning to install a gas fireplace. Fortunately the location has direct
access to an unused flue on my chimney. What are the pros & cons of direct
vented vs. vent free, I haven't been able to find much on the web beyond the
fact that vent free will add moisture.

Can't list the pros and cons. My thoughts are that anything that is
burning needs to be vented. Check out your chimney to make sure it is
in good condition. My gas fireplace is side-vented to the
outside--unfortunately, I have no chimney. Currently, I have the
fireplace stuffed with insulation (I havn't turned it on in over 8
years) because it creates a cold draft.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Phisherman" wrote in message
My thoughts are that anything that is
burning needs to be vented.

Correct, but the question is how much venting. Many of the new propane
heaters are 99+% efficient so there is not much fume, however, they do
consume oxygen. Since the airtightness of houses varies considerably, that
is not a big deal in most cases. Air going out a chimney = the same amount
of air infiltrating someplace

Millions of homes have gas ranges and ovens with no vents and no problems..

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Phisherman" wrote in message
My thoughts are that anything that is
burning needs to be vented.

Correct, but the question is how much venting. Many of the new propane
heaters are 99+% efficient so there is not much fume, however, they do
consume oxygen. Since the airtightness of houses varies considerably,
that is not a big deal in most cases. Air going out a chimney = the same
amount of air infiltrating someplace

Millions of homes have gas ranges and ovens with no vents and no
problems..

I've always wondered how safe these were...

Does anyone know if they are acceptable for use in Alberta, Canada (Calgary
specifically)?