Posted to alt.home.repair
Phisherman Phisherman is offline

Default direct vent vs. vent free gas fireplace

On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 07:41:38 -0600, "Jeff Dieterle"
wrote:

I'm planning to install a gas fireplace. Fortunately the location has direct
access to an unused flue on my chimney. What are the pros & cons of direct
vented vs. vent free, I haven't been able to find much on the web beyond the
fact that vent free will add moisture.

Can't list the pros and cons. My thoughts are that anything that is
burning needs to be vented. Check out your chimney to make sure it is
in good condition. My gas fireplace is side-vented to the
outside--unfortunately, I have no chimney. Currently, I have the
fireplace stuffed with insulation (I havn't turned it on in over 8
years) because it creates a cold draft.