Posted to alt.home.repair
JB JB is offline

Default direct vent vs. vent free gas fireplace

On Nov 25, 8:41 am, "Jeff Dieterle" wrote:
I'm planning to install a gas fireplace. Fortunately the location has direct
access to an unused flue on my chimney. What are the pros & cons of direct
vented vs. vent free, I haven't been able to find much on the web beyond the
fact that vent free will add moisture.

I've been using a vent free inside an unused fireplace for about 7
years. Its great. We live in a split foyer (walk in and go up or
down) and our basement/family room is quite chilly in the winter. A
vented unit does little more than look pretty since 90% of the heat
goes up the chimney. Our flue is closed, the doors are open, and all
of the heat goes into the room. Keeping it on a low trickle is enough
to keep the room nice and toasty. I don't have any moisture or CO
issues (we have a detector in the nearby hallway.)

The flame on vented units tend to look more realistic. Our looks more
like a stove on high with fake logs around it (lots of blue). But
again, I'm more interested in the heat than the looks.

--Jeff