Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Texturing walls

I mentioned in an earlier post I am de-wallpapering 5 rooms in my 1970's-era
home. Aside from the bathrooms, I've decided I am anti-wallpaper. The
previous owners plastered over the prior texturing to smooth the surface.
*sigh* I have already stripped and redone one room completely (oh WHY did I
start with the LARGEST room...:-))

In that room I used a paint texturizer in that room with one of those loop
rollers and a trowel to flatten. It looks OK (especially with flat paint)
but I'd like it to look a little more professional in the entry hall/dining
room. The rest of the house that is not papered has what looks like a
mop-press type pattern. I'm not crazy about it either - not quite smooth
enough.

My question is this - what is a relatively easy method to texture and what
material is recommended that would come out looking a little more
professional? I've checked various websites (just like the textured
paint) - it comes out looking fine when THEY do it, but some are obviously
easier than others.

And yes, I realize a professional could do it best, but I've more desire and
time than money these days.

TIA,
Laurie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 27, 7:33�am, "Laurie" wrote:
[...]

done here, after previous serious water damage caused bad wall
troubles. peeling cracking and spalling.

first remove and scrape EVERYTHING, dont worry about making things
worse!

scrub the entire surface get all the dust off. rinse thoroughly.

paint the entire thing with oil based bin primer sealer, right over
all damage. it will seal and help adhesion. coat liberally.

now use drywall mud, to first smooth as best you can all the rough
areas. let dry..... a day at least.

now begin coating areas with a thin coat of drywall mud, use a wide
brush to give it the texture you want.

it can come out perfect! I mean unreal good!

first try a small area somewhere to see if you like the finish.

if you dont use wet sponge or sand and start over.

Our home was previously rented, a old tenant was evicted after not
paying any rent for 5 months. they left in the middle of the night but
first turned on the tub water and shut drain. filled home with water.
the landlord found out when a neighbor called him and reported water
coming out of house.
its a 2 story with basement, tenants had clogged basement drain too.

brought down all the cielings which were replaced, but little was done
with the walls till after we bought the place,

drywall mud is the BEST plaster repair material!

and yes I HATE wallpaper too, some walls here were papered over, then
painted, add the water damage it was horrible.

paint is far better and costs less too
Posted to alt.home.repair

Laurie wrote:

I mentioned in an earlier post I am de-wallpapering 5 rooms in my 1970's-era
home. Aside from the bathrooms, I've decided I am anti-wallpaper. The
previous owners plastered over the prior texturing to smooth the surface.
*sigh* I have already stripped and redone one room completely (oh WHY did I
start with the LARGEST room...:-))

Largest room first would be my choice ... downhill from there )

In that room I used a paint texturizer in that room with one of those loop
rollers and a trowel to flatten. It looks OK (especially with flat paint)
but I'd like it to look a little more professional in the entry hall/dining
room. The rest of the house that is not papered has what looks like a
mop-press type pattern. I'm not crazy about it either - not quite smooth
enough.

My question is this - what is a relatively easy method to texture and what
material is recommended that would come out looking a little more
professional? I've checked various websites (just like the textured
paint) - it comes out looking fine when THEY do it, but some are obviously
easier than others.

I've never used it or seen in place, but "Venetian Plaster" seems to be
popular. I've run across quite a few websites which pertain. It isn't
easy from appearances but might be doable. Then there is sponging and
glazing which give a similar effect but aren't as permanent. That, too,
takes some practice. Sponging is probably easier with more than one
person working - one to roll on glaze and one to texture it. Mebbe )

And yes, I realize a professional could do it best, but I've more desire and
time than money these days.

TIA,
Laurie

I've lived in a couple of homes with badly done textured walls. I once
made repairs to exterior stucco and discovered it was difficult to match
the texture without some practice. I would suggest you use the product
you like on scrap wood or heavy cardboard until you get what you want. I
have tried marble faux painting, but had to resort to wallpaper in my
two baths to get it right. Easy. Not permanent. )
Posted to alt.home.repair

Laurie wrote:

[...]

http://www.homeenvy.com/db/4/234.html

Adventures in Texturing Greg G. Woodturning 9 October 24th 06 02:53 AM
Texturing Drywall pakdog Home Repair 5 March 31st 06 03:52 AM
texturing drywall [email protected] Home Repair 0 August 22nd 05 04:06 PM
Small area texturing Jag Man Home Repair 1 August 11th 05 09:18 PM
texturing walls WHoME? Home Repair 8 December 13th 04 07:16 PM