Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Texturing walls

Laurie wrote:

I mentioned in an earlier post I am de-wallpapering 5 rooms in my 1970's-era
home. Aside from the bathrooms, I've decided I am anti-wallpaper. The
previous owners plastered over the prior texturing to smooth the surface.
*sigh* I have already stripped and redone one room completely (oh WHY did I
start with the LARGEST room...:-))

Largest room first would be my choice ... downhill from there )

In that room I used a paint texturizer in that room with one of those loop
rollers and a trowel to flatten. It looks OK (especially with flat paint)
but I'd like it to look a little more professional in the entry hall/dining
room. The rest of the house that is not papered has what looks like a
mop-press type pattern. I'm not crazy about it either - not quite smooth
enough.

My question is this - what is a relatively easy method to texture and what
material is recommended that would come out looking a little more
professional? I've checked various websites (just like the textured
paint) - it comes out looking fine when THEY do it, but some are obviously
easier than others.

I've never used it or seen in place, but "Venetian Plaster" seems to be
popular. I've run across quite a few websites which pertain. It isn't
easy from appearances but might be doable. Then there is sponging and
glazing which give a similar effect but aren't as permanent. That, too,
takes some practice. Sponging is probably easier with more than one
person working - one to roll on glaze and one to texture it. Mebbe )

And yes, I realize a professional could do it best, but I've more desire and
time than money these days.

TIA,
Laurie

I've lived in a couple of homes with badly done textured walls. I once
made repairs to exterior stucco and discovered it was difficult to match
the texture without some practice. I would suggest you use the product
you like on scrap wood or heavy cardboard until you get what you want. I
have tried marble faux painting, but had to resort to wallpaper in my
two baths to get it right. Easy. Not permanent. )