Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Removing Spray Paint From Concrete

My driveway has some no-longer-needed marker lines applied a
few years ago, using masking tape and ordinary spray paint
from a can. What suggestions do you have for removing the
paint now?

Thanks.
--
----------
CWLee

Posted to alt.home.repair

"CWLee" wrote in message

My driveway has some no-longer-needed marker lines applied a
few years ago, using masking tape and ordinary spray paint
from a can. What suggestions do you have for removing the
paint now?

Some of that graffiti-off stuff school janitors use, and/or a power washer.
Any janitorial supply should carry it- usually citrus-based. It depends on
the paint used and how the driveway was finished. Concrete or asphalt? If
asphalt, just rough it up with scotchbrite pad, and sealcoat the area. How
many years ago is 'a few'? In my experience, ordinary spray paint is usually
gone within a year, just from weather.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote:

... how the driveway was finished. Concrete or asphalt?

Concrete.

How
many years ago is 'a few'?

Less than 3, more than 2.

In my experience, ordinary spray paint is usually
gone within a year, just from weather.

You probably have more "exciting" weather than I do in
Southern California. :-)

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 7, 1:35 am, "CWLee" wrote:
"aemeijers" wrote:
... how the driveway was finished. Concrete or asphalt?

Concrete.

How
many years ago is 'a few'?

Less than 3, more than 2.

In my experience, ordinary spray paint is usually
gone within a year, just from weather.

You probably have more "exciting" weather than I do in
Southern California. :-)

Thanks.

Any of the available paint removers will work on concrete.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"CWLee" wrote in message

My driveway has some no-longer-needed marker lines applied a
few years ago, using masking tape and ordinary spray paint
from a can. What suggestions do you have for removing the
paint now?

Thanks.
--
----------

I'd try some lacquer thinner and a wire brush, then a good shot of Greased
lightening and a scrub brush.
Might work, might not.

--
Kate
______

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 6, 9:36 pm, "CWLee" wrote:
My driveway has some no-longer-needed marker lines applied a
few years ago, using masking tape and ordinary spray paint
from a can. What suggestions do you have for removing the
paint now?

Thanks.
--
----------
CWLee
Former slayer of dragons; practice now limited to sacred
cows. Believing we should hire for quality, not quotas, and
promote for performance, not preferences.

I've used a propane torch and a stiff brass-bristle wire brush. I
melt the paint then immediately brush it off. It will leave black
metallic/carbon marks but the carbon will come off with a scrubbing
using a good concrete cleaning solution and an acid brush once you are
done torching. Then after a year it should all be invisible. With
this method at least nothing petroleum based is "soaking into" the
concrete causing even worse problems.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Closure on Removing Spray Paint From Concrete

Home Depot sells an aerosol can of graffiti remover that
worked fine to get the top 90% of the original paint off
easily. A second application, and some scrubbing, got the
next 5% off. I can live with the remaining 5%, which may
weather away when the winter temps drop into the 60s, and
our annual day of rain arrives in November or December. :-)

Thanks to all.