Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electrical code question...

If I understand the code correctly, there needs to be a gfi receptical
on a dedicated circuit. I have a situation where lights in my
bathrooms also must be gfi protected. So I guess I'm just looking for
an explanation of why this code of a dedicated circuit exists. My
study of the code finds contradicting info due to lack of explanation.

Please advise & thanks for your time.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

It depends when the bathroom was wired, as to what code was in affect.
Current and recent codes allow receptacles in all bathrooms to be on a
dedicated 20 amp circuit and no other outlets can be on that circuit, or all
lights , fans , outlets etc of one bathroom can be on a dedicated circuit

wrote in message
oups.com...
If I understand the code correctly, there needs to be a gfi receptical
on a dedicated circuit. I have a situation where lights in my
bathrooms also must be gfi protected. So I guess I'm just looking for
an explanation of why this code of a dedicated circuit exists. My
study of the code finds contradicting info due to lack of explanation.

Please advise & thanks for your time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
If I understand the code correctly, there needs to be a gfi receptical
on a dedicated circuit. I have a situation where lights in my
bathrooms also must be gfi protected. So I guess I'm just looking for
an explanation of why this code of a dedicated circuit exists. My
study of the code finds contradicting info due to lack of explanation.

You can put GFCI outlets anywhere you want. And you can have dedicated
circuits without GFCIs.

You probably have something in mind; do you want to elaborate?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 13, 9:49 pm, "Toller" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com... If I understand the code correctly, there needs to be a gfi receptical
on a dedicated circuit. I have a situation where lights in my
bathrooms also must be gfi protected. So I guess I'm just looking for
an explanation of why this code of a dedicated circuit exists. My
study of the code finds contradicting info due to lack of explanation.

You can put GFCI outlets anywhere you want. And you can have dedicated
circuits without GFCIs.

You probably have something in mind; do you want to elaborate?

For a particular case, I would like to feed a bathroom consisting of
three lights, one exhaust fan and a basin receptical with a circuit
protected by a GFI breaker. One of the recessed lights is in the
shower, therefore requiring GFI protection. I'm looking for clear
code instruction. Thanks for the posts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 13, 11:17 pm, wrote:
On May 13, 9:49 pm, "Toller" wrote:

wrote in message

roups.com... If I understand the code correctly, there needs to be a gfi receptical
on a dedicated circuit. I have a situation where lights in my
bathrooms also must be gfi protected. So I guess I'm just looking for
an explanation of why this code of a dedicated circuit exists. My
study of the code finds contradicting info due to lack of explanation.

You can put GFCI outlets anywhere you want. And you can have dedicated
circuits without GFCIs.

You probably have something in mind; do you want to elaborate?

For a particular case, I would like to feed a bathroom consisting of
three lights, one exhaust fan and a basin receptical with a circuit
protected by a GFI breaker. One of the recessed lights is in the
shower, therefore requiring GFI protection. I'm looking for clear
code instruction. Thanks for the posts.

Greetings,

Consider using a GFI recept or blank face GFI recept instead of a GFI
breaker (that way the trip switch can be located near the point of use
and it is often cheaper to boot).

Hope this helps,
William

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
On May 13, 9:49 pm, "Toller" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com... If I
understand the code correctly, there needs to be a gfi receptical
on a dedicated circuit. I have a situation where lights in my
bathrooms also must be gfi protected. So I guess I'm just looking for
an explanation of why this code of a dedicated circuit exists. My
study of the code finds contradicting info due to lack of explanation.

You can put GFCI outlets anywhere you want. And you can have dedicated
circuits without GFCIs.

You probably have something in mind; do you want to elaborate?

For a particular case, I would like to feed a bathroom consisting of
three lights, one exhaust fan and a basin receptical with a circuit
protected by a GFI breaker. One of the recessed lights is in the
shower, therefore requiring GFI protection. I'm looking for clear
code instruction. Thanks for the posts.

Code allows to have everything in the bathroom on one circuit, but
absolutely nothing outside that bathroom can be on also.

The light in my shower is not on a GFCI, and I don't see why it has to be.
I bet you would get nuisance trips from it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 13, 8:17 pm, wrote:
On May 13, 9:49 pm, "Toller" wrote:

wrote in message

roups.com... If I understand the code correctly, there needs to be a gfi receptical
on a dedicated circuit. I have a situation where lights in my
bathrooms also must be gfi protected. So I guess I'm just looking for
an explanation of why this code of a dedicated circuit exists. My
study of the code finds contradicting info due to lack of explanation.

You can put GFCI outlets anywhere you want. And you can have dedicated
circuits without GFCIs.

You probably have something in mind; do you want to elaborate?

For a particular case, I would like to feed a bathroom consisting of
three lights, one exhaust fan and a basin receptical with a circuit
protected by a GFI breaker. One of the recessed lights is in the
shower, therefore requiring GFI protection. I'm looking for clear
code instruction. Thanks for the posts.

Per current code what you are planning sounds OK provided the circuit
does not feed any outlets outside the bathroom. You may want to
consider having at least one light in the bathroom fed from another
source, if the GFCI trips you will be in darkness. BTW, Although a
GFCI for the recessed lamp above the shower is a very good idea, I can
find no code that requires it unless the listing instructions for the
light require it. The lamp itself needs to be listed for damp
locations unless it is subject to shower spray in which case it must
be listed for wet locations.