Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sharp Mod. R-9330 Microwave Possible Cosmetic Damage

We have an ancient microwave oven that is still functional but the plastic
liner on the inside of the door around the window shattered the other day
when my wife opened the door. I've looked this over and I suspect that
this piece of plastic is absolutely cosmetic but I cannot seem to confirm
this. Given that the beastie was built in 1987 I'm not surprised that I'm
having difficulties finding answers. Can anyone help?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dean Clous wrote:
We have an ancient microwave oven that is still functional but the plastic
liner on the inside of the door around the window shattered the other day
when my wife opened the door. I've looked this over and I suspect that
this piece of plastic is absolutely cosmetic but I cannot seem to confirm
this. Given that the beastie was built in 1987 I'm not surprised that I'm
having difficulties finding answers. Can anyone help?

Hi.
Wow! it is older than I, LOL! Time for a new unit. If concerned check
with MW leak tester.
Posted to alt.home.repair

--

Does the liner go to the perimeter ? It's the outside perimeter, about 1.5
inches that is a quarter wavelength preventing leakage. I've heard of

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to gregz , Dean Clous wrote:
zekor wrote:

Does the liner go to the perimeter ? It's the outside perimeter, about 1.5
inches that is a quarter wavelength preventing leakage. I've heard of
conductive plastic.
Got an ohmmeter ?
Greg

It does go all the way to the outer edge of the door. Seems to be a moot
point, however. The wife has decided she's uncomfortable with trying to
repair (or ignore if it's safe to do so). Appreciate the answers but I
guess we're in the market for a new microwave. Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang writes:
Dean Clous wrote:
We have an ancient microwave oven that is still functional but the plastic
liner on the inside of the door around the window shattered the other day
when my wife opened the door. I've looked this over and I suspect that
this piece of plastic is absolutely cosmetic but I cannot seem to confirm
this. Given that the beastie was built in 1987 I'm not surprised that I'm
having difficulties finding answers. Can anyone help?

Hi.
Wow! it is older than I, LOL! Time for a new unit. If concerned check
with MW leak tester.

My Sharp Carousel was built in 1983. A plastic trim piece covering
the hinge has broken, but otherwise the microwave is still cooking
after thirty years of daily use. While it is only 600 watts, it is
virtually impossible to burn popcorn with it :-)

Second the leak checker.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Dean Clous, Nathan Woodruff wrote:
Dean Clous wrote:

It does go all the way to the outer edge of the door. Seems to be a moot

point,
however. The wife has decided she's uncomfortable with trying to repair

(or
ignore if it's safe to do so). Appreciate the answers but I guess we're in

the
market for a new microwave. Thanks.

I have the exact same microwave and the same plastic piece busted just
before Christmas 2015. Since it is plastic and would in no way shield
microwaves, I ignored it.

But today, Feb 25 2016, the transformer started to hum and then blew the
fuse. Several years ago, maybe 10, a roach crawled up in the microwave and
decided to crawl on the leads to the transformer. I opened it up and there
was two halves of a roach across the power leads. I replaced the fuse and
it worked like a champ.

But the hum from the transformer now means that it has become too hot and
the internals have melted. A new transformer is more than the cost of a
new microwave.

It had been a great microwave since 1987.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dean Clous wrote:

[...]

....should we play taps...or the violin? ヽ(´ー` )ノ
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to bob_villain, DavidB wrote:
I'm looking for the same door gasket. Where can I get a new one? R-9330.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ge-780046-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to DavidB, Neil Ditmore wrote:
Did u ever find door gasket for R-9330 microwave & if so where? The inch
black gasket inserts round inside of door on mine piece just cracked & fell on
floor in crumbles. Luv this microwave & would like to fix if possible. If knew
wasnt dangerous without would keep using. Thanks!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ge-780046-.htm