Posted to alt.home.repair
Nathan Woodruff Nathan Woodruff is offline

Default Sharp Mod. R-9330 Microwave Possible Cosmetic Damage

replying to Dean Clous, Nathan Woodruff wrote:
Dean Clous wrote:

It does go all the way to the outer edge of the door. Seems to be a moot

point,
however. The wife has decided she's uncomfortable with trying to repair

(or
ignore if it's safe to do so). Appreciate the answers but I guess we're in

the
market for a new microwave. Thanks.

I have the exact same microwave and the same plastic piece busted just
before Christmas 2015. Since it is plastic and would in no way shield
microwaves, I ignored it.

But today, Feb 25 2016, the transformer started to hum and then blew the
fuse. Several years ago, maybe 10, a roach crawled up in the microwave and
decided to crawl on the leads to the transformer. I opened it up and there
was two halves of a roach across the power leads. I replaced the fuse and
it worked like a champ.

But the hum from the transformer now means that it has become too hot and
the internals have melted. A new transformer is more than the cost of a
new microwave.

It had been a great microwave since 1987.