Plastic Faucet Stem - Stripped Screw

Old February 11th 07, 03:59 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Plastic Faucet Stem - Stripped Screw

Gerry Atrick wrote:
On my bathtub the faucet stem screw that holds the handle on, is
stripped. This cartridge stem does not appear to be easily
available,
in fact no one has been able to determine the manufacturer of the
faucet and it is not labelled.

1st, ask at your local hardware if they have faucet repair stems. If
they do, take yours out and let them patch it. If that doesn't work,
while at the hardware pick up a tube of "J.B. Weld" Clean and dry the
stripped out hole, mix the J.B. Weld and put in the hole and assemble
the parts, just snug the screw. Let set 24 hours or more before using.
J.B.Weld needs to be in everyone's tool kit.

Tom J

Old February 11th 07, 05:08 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Gerry Atrick wrote:

As far as the hardware store patching it, I never heard of such a
thing. If I could identify the faucet they could order a new one
for
me, but I cant ID the darn thing.

Gerry

I have 2 different hardware stores whin 5 miles of my home that have
trays and trays of parts for repairing things in the house, including
all kinds of faucets and valves. When I need repair parts, I just take
the bad part with me to the hardware store and hand it to the clerk.
They sell enough of these parts that most of the time they only have
to go to 1 or 2 trays to get the replacement part without the
manufacturer's name. My house was built in 1962 and they still have
repair parts for every faucet and valve in the house.

Tom J