Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sony VCR clock expires

My 10 year old Sony VCR ran out of time this year and the clock cannot be reset
2007. Sony told me to set it to 2001, which they claim will do the same job. I
tried it and so far it works for January, 2007 (gets the right day of the
week). How much
could it have cost Sony to extend the original clock beyond 10 years? The VCR
is still very servicable, although I never could fix the capacitor that holds up
the memory for supposedly 3 hours in a power outage. Now I have to reset it for
even
the shortest power outages. It's probably tricky, because the last VCR tech who
tried to fix that said he couldn't find the right capacitor to do the job.

Sherwin D.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 30, 2:38 am, sherwindu wrote:
My 10 year old Sony VCR ran out of time this year and the clock cannot be reset
2007. Sony told me to set it to 2001, which they claim will do the same job. I
tried it and so far it works for January, 2007 (gets the right day of the
week). How much
could it have cost Sony to extend the original clock beyond 10 years? The VCR
is still very servicable, although I never could fix the capacitor that holds up
the memory for supposedly 3 hours in a power outage. Now I have to reset it for
even
the shortest power outages. It's probably tricky, because the last VCR tech who
tried to fix that said he couldn't find the right capacitor to do the job.

Sherwin D.

Agree that it seems pretty stupid that Sony didn't make the digital
clock capable for more than 10 years. I could understand this if it
were a big deal, but the cost of doing that in a typical clock chip is
negligible. And not doing it is sure to **** off some people.

Regarding the cap issue, I can't imagine the cap to backup the clock
is anything special. Any cap that is rated for 20V, maybe a few uf+
should work and you could replace it if you can find it and have the
requisite skills. If there is an issue that prevented the tech from
doing it, I would think it would be accessibility, difficulty/risk/
lavbor cost of soldering a new one in, etc. What he told you is just
an excuse.

Posted to alt.home.repair

You must not use it much. VCR's don't last that long.

Posted to alt.home.repair

sherwindu wrote:
My 10 year old Sony VCR ran out of time this year and the clock cannot be reset
2007. Sony told me to set it to 2001, which they claim will do the same job. I
tried it and so far it works for January, 2007 (gets the right day of the
week). How much
could it have cost Sony to extend the original clock beyond 10 years? The VCR
is still very servicable, although I never could fix the capacitor that holds up
the memory for supposedly 3 hours in a power outage. Now I have to reset it for
even
the shortest power outages. It's probably tricky, because the last VCR tech who
tried to fix that said he couldn't find the right capacitor to do the job.

Sherwin D.

Hmm,
VCR is going out of it's time. If you need it like I do I have several
in the house. Some with DVD/VCR combo. They are cheap. I am moving all
the tapes to DVD.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 01:38:41 -0600, sherwindu
wrote:

My 10 year old Sony VCR ran out of time this year and the clock cannot be reset
2007. Sony told me to set it to 2001, which they claim will do the same job. I
tried it and so far it works for January, 2007 (gets the right day of the

You'll be ok until February 29, 2008, because that is a leap year
while 2002 wasn't. So you'll have to set it to 2003 on that day to
advance the date another day, while keeping the day of week the same.

Then you'll be ok until March 1, 2009, because that is not a leap year
but 2004 was, so you'll have to set it to..... I have to go now, but
I'll think about this. I'm thinking you may have to rely on day of
weeek and not day of month that year, until Feb 28th of the next year,
but I'm not sure, OR, remember that the day of the month is one day
off, even going into the adjacent month sometimes.

I think this is a small price to pay for an otherwise good machine.

week). How much
could it have cost Sony to extend the original clock beyond 10 years? The VCR
is still very servicable, although I never could fix the capacitor that holds up
the memory for supposedly 3 hours in a power outage. Now I have to reset it for
even
the shortest power outages. It's probably tricky, because the last VCR tech who
tried to fix that said he couldn't find the right capacitor to do the job.

Sherwin D.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 16:01:39 GMT, "Jeff" wrote:

In Feb. 2009 when analog TV goes

Incorrect. The law (which is likely to be put off even more, as it
already has some) applies ONLY to terrestrial broadcast. Cable and
satellite systems can (and many will) continue to use this system for
years (or even decades) more, for compatibility with existing
equipment. Not everyone can afford to replace their TVs or add
converters. There are also existing videotapes some people will want
to play.

I expect NTSC to be used for less-critical things like security
cameras for a long time. A VCR makes a good tuner, when used for such
things.

you can pitch it.

Think carefully before performing an irreversible act.

Also, you could give it to Goodwill. There's still plenty of people
wanting a VCR.

Unfortunately my
VCR died recently and I had to buy a new one for the next two years.

I notice that new VCRs and tapes are getting harder to find. The
Wal-Mart here is giving several times as much shelf space to DVD
machines and DVDs than to VCRs and tapes.

BTW, there are even DVD RECORDERS for less than $100.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 16:11:24 GMT, Tony Hwang wrote:

sherwindu wrote:
[...]

I copied the more important of my tapes to DVD. Most of the others
didn't have good enough audio/video quality (for one reason the cable
TV here used to be no good).

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 30, 11:01 am, "Jeff" wrote:
In Feb. 2009 when analog TV goes away you can pitch it. Unfortunately my
VCR died recently and I had to buy a new one for the next two years.

Not necessarily. Most people today have either cable or sat. With
either of these, every box I've seen still has an NTSC output that is
compatible with existing TVs and VCRs. If you rely on OTA, then you
would need a digital tuner, but you're going to need that for any TV
that doesn't already have a digital tuner. And if you have an old
VCR, I'm betting it's very likely you're going to have a TV that
doesn't have a digital tuner too. Plus the VCR still plays all your
old tapes, so no need to chuck anything.

"sherwindu" wrote in ...

[...]

Sherwin D.- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My 10 year old Sony VCR ran out of time this year and the clock cannot be reset
2007. Sony told me to set it to 2001, which they claim will do the same job. I
tried it and so far it works for January, 2007 (gets the right day of the

You'll be ok until February 29, 2008, because that is a leap year
while 2002 wasn't. So you'll have to set it to 2003 on that day to
advance the date another day, while keeping the day of week the same.

Then you'll be ok until March 1, 2009, because that is not a leap year
but 2004 was, so you'll have to set it to..... I have to go now, but
I'll think about this. I'm thinking you may have to rely on day of
weeek and not day of month that year, until Feb 28th of the next year,
but I'm not sure, OR, remember that the day of the month is one day
off, even going into the adjacent month sometimes.

I find that I do very little timer recording with a VCR anymore, and
don't worry that much about the clock.

I think this is a small price to pay for an otherwise good machine.

week). How much
could it have cost Sony to extend the original clock beyond 10 years? The VCR
is still very servicable, although I never could fix the capacitor that holds up
the memory for supposedly 3 hours in a power outage. Now I have to reset it for
even
the shortest power outages. It's probably tricky, because the last VCR tech who
tried to fix that said he couldn't find the right capacitor to do the job.

Sherwin D.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy
Posted to alt.home.repair

OT but,
WE print calendars and I never knew that there are only 14 calendars that
repeat.
2001, 2007, 2018, 2029, 2035, 2046, 2057, 2063, 2074, 2085 and 2091 all use
the same calendar.

Another piece of useless information...

Steve

"sherwindu" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote:
sherwindu wrote:
[...]

Hope you keep the tapes. Tapes last a long time,
will your recordings on DVD?
Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

sherwindu wrote:
My 10 year old Sony VCR ran out of time this year and the clock cannot be reset
2007.

This is just the tip of the iceberg come March 11. VCRs and any other
devices that can automatically adjust to daylight saving time won't set
properly unless you disable the automatic DST feature, or move to
Arizona or Hawaii.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mark Lloyd wrote:

I expect NTSC to be used for less-critical things like security
cameras for a long time. A VCR makes a good tuner, when used for such
things.

not likely; the security industry is driven largely by the consumer video
market. Manufacturers won't want to develop one CCD for 4:3 cameras and
another for 16:9 cameras.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 00:54:08 GMT, Bob wrote:

sherwindu wrote:
My 10 year old Sony VCR ran out of time this year and the clock cannot be reset
2007.

This is just the tip of the iceberg come March 11. VCRs and any other
devices that can automatically adjust to daylight saving time won't set
properly unless you disable the automatic DST feature, or move to
Arizona or Hawaii.

You should also adjust your computer with tzedit.exe (time zone edit),
before that date, to insert the proper days for starting and ending
DST. If you don't already have the program, you can find it on the
web and dl it. Congress changed the dates since your OS was written,
unless you got it in the past year, and maybe not even then.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 30, 7:54 pm, Bob wrote:
sherwindu wrote:
My 10 year old Sony VCR ran out of time this year and the clock cannot be reset
2007.

This is just the tip of the iceberg come March 11. VCRs and any other
devices that can automatically adjust to daylight saving time won't set
properly unless you disable the automatic DST feature, or move to
Arizona or Hawaii.

Oh no, should I stock up on survival food because my VCR might be off
by an hour before I reset the clock?

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 31 Jan 2007 06:21:07 -0800, "Larry Bud"
wrote:

On Jan 30, 7:54 pm, Bob wrote:
sherwindu wrote:
My 10 year old Sony VCR ran out of time this year and the clock cannot be reset
2007.

This is just the tip of the iceberg come March 11. VCRs and any other
devices that can automatically adjust to daylight saving time won't set
properly unless you disable the automatic DST feature, or move to
Arizona or Hawaii.

Oh no, should I stock up on survival food because my VCR might be off
by an hour before I reset the clock?

Absolutely. I've run a vcr an hour off, and it was very disappointing
to record 6 hours of the wrong programs!

I now have 2 GE vcr's, almost the same model, which are supposed to be
able to get the time from the tv signals, and one fails entirely and
tells me to set it myself, but the other finds the time on PBS. I
wonder why the difference?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 21:48:59 -0700, "Bob M." wrote:

Mark Lloyd wrote:

I expect NTSC to be used for less-critical things like security
cameras for a long time. A VCR makes a good tuner, when used for such
things.

not likely; the security industry is driven largely by the consumer video
market. Manufacturers won't want to develop one CCD for 4:3 cameras and
another for 16:9 cameras.

I was talking about video signal format, not CCD shape. I suppose they
will do away with NTSC eventually. My point was that they are NOT
required to by law, and won't be making that change yet.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy
Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6295306.html

--
"Nowadays, security guys break the Mac every single day. Every single day,
they come out with a total exploit, your machine can be taken over totally.