Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sony VCR clock expires

On Jan 30, 2:38 am, sherwindu wrote:
My 10 year old Sony VCR ran out of time this year and the clock cannot be reset
2007. Sony told me to set it to 2001, which they claim will do the same job. I
tried it and so far it works for January, 2007 (gets the right day of the
week). How much
could it have cost Sony to extend the original clock beyond 10 years? The VCR
is still very servicable, although I never could fix the capacitor that holds up
the memory for supposedly 3 hours in a power outage. Now I have to reset it for
even
the shortest power outages. It's probably tricky, because the last VCR tech who
tried to fix that said he couldn't find the right capacitor to do the job.

Sherwin D.

Agree that it seems pretty stupid that Sony didn't make the digital
clock capable for more than 10 years. I could understand this if it
were a big deal, but the cost of doing that in a typical clock chip is
negligible. And not doing it is sure to **** off some people.

Regarding the cap issue, I can't imagine the cap to backup the clock
is anything special. Any cap that is rated for 20V, maybe a few uf+
should work and you could replace it if you can find it and have the
requisite skills. If there is an issue that prevented the tech from
doing it, I would think it would be accessibility, difficulty/risk/
lavbor cost of soldering a new one in, etc. What he told you is just
an excuse.