Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default Sony VCR clock expires

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 11:20:34 -0500, mm
wrote:

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 01:38:41 -0600, sherwindu
wrote:

My 10 year old Sony VCR ran out of time this year and the clock cannot be reset
2007. Sony told me to set it to 2001, which they claim will do the same job. I
tried it and so far it works for January, 2007 (gets the right day of the

You'll be ok until February 29, 2008, because that is a leap year
while 2002 wasn't. So you'll have to set it to 2003 on that day to
advance the date another day, while keeping the day of week the same.

Then you'll be ok until March 1, 2009, because that is not a leap year
but 2004 was, so you'll have to set it to..... I have to go now, but
I'll think about this. I'm thinking you may have to rely on day of
weeek and not day of month that year, until Feb 28th of the next year,
but I'm not sure, OR, remember that the day of the month is one day
off, even going into the adjacent month sometimes.

I find that I do very little timer recording with a VCR anymore, and
don't worry that much about the clock.

I think this is a small price to pay for an otherwise good machine.

week). How much
could it have cost Sony to extend the original clock beyond 10 years? The VCR
is still very servicable, although I never could fix the capacitor that holds up
the memory for supposedly 3 hours in a power outage. Now I have to reset it for
even
the shortest power outages. It's probably tricky, because the last VCR tech who
tried to fix that said he couldn't find the right capacitor to do the job.

Sherwin D.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com