Adding sealer to grout before you apply it

Old January 16th 07, 03:39 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Adding sealer to grout before you apply it

Hello all,

Has anyone heard of this? My brother in law just had his kitchen
remodeled and the contractor that installed the porcelain tile floor
actually mixed the sealer into the grout then applied the grout. I'm
going to be grouting my kitchen floor this weekend and just wanted to
pick some brains first!

Thanks

Old January 16th 07, 04:35 PM posted to alt.home.repair

In the old days prior to 1990 or so, when grouts were
not polymer modified yet, we would mix liquid polymer
admixes into the grout as a substitute for water. This
would make the grout more stain resistant and make
the color more consistent, but it doesn't truly seal it.

Possibly his contractor mixed polymer modified powder
with additional liquid admix, which is wrong and shouldn't
be done.
Don't give in to some kind of experiment. A bad
grout job will ruin everything.

The conventional way is to just use ordinary polymer
modified grout (as all grouts come these days)
mix it with clean water, and seal it with good sealer
after 3 days of curing.

thetiler

Old January 16th 07, 05:10 PM posted to alt.home.repair

thetiler wrote:
In the old days prior to 1990 or so, when grouts were
not polymer modified yet, we would mix liquid polymer
admixes into the grout as a substitute for water. This
would make the grout more stain resistant and make
the color more consistent, but it doesn't truly seal it.

Possibly his contractor mixed polymer modified powder
with additional liquid admix, which is wrong and shouldn't
be done.
Don't give in to some kind of experiment. A bad
grout job will ruin everything.

The conventional way is to just use ordinary polymer
modified grout (as all grouts come these days)
mix it with clean water, and seal it with good sealer
after 3 days of curing.

The tile store where I bought porcelain tiles for my bathroom a few
weeks ago sold me a quart of admix to put in the sanded grout mix
instead of water to keep it from cracking. And a pint of sealer to use
3 or 4 days after grouting. I don't remember what brand.

I think I need to read the directions on the grout bag carefully; maybe
I can return the admix when I take the extra box of tiles back...

Thanks,
Bob
Old January 16th 07, 06:13 PM posted to alt.home.repair

zxcvbob wrote in news:514f8oF1inaf2U1

The tile store where I bought porcelain tiles for my bathroom a few
weeks ago sold me a quart of admix to put in the sanded grout mix
instead of water to keep it from cracking. And a pint of sealer to use
3 or 4 days after grouting. I don't remember what brand.

I think I need to read the directions on the grout bag carefully; maybe
I can return the admix when I take the extra box of tiles back...

Just remember not to bring all your leftover tiles back. Just in case you
crack one by dropping something on it. 10 years from now those tiles will
be out of print.
Old January 16th 07, 06:30 PM posted to alt.home.repair

GoHabsGo wrote:
zxcvbob wrote in news:514f8oF1inaf2U1
The tile store where I bought porcelain tiles for my bathroom a few
weeks ago sold me a quart of admix to put in the sanded grout mix
instead of water to keep it from cracking. And a pint of sealer to use
3 or 4 days after grouting. I don't remember what brand.

I think I need to read the directions on the grout bag carefully; maybe
I can return the admix when I take the extra box of tiles back...

Just remember not to bring all your leftover tiles back. Just in case you
crack one by dropping something on it. 10 years from now those tiles will
be out of print.

Thanks; I already thought of that. I've got 6 1/2 tiles held back and
stacked safely in the back under the sink.

Best regards,
Bob
Old January 16th 07, 10:50 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Has anyone heard of this? My brother in law just had his kitchen
remodeled and the contractor that installed the porcelain tile floor
actually mixed the sealer into the grout then applied the grout.

Yeah. It's like the stuff they put in concrete so you don't need wire or
rebar reinforcement in the slab. In other words, a phony shortcut for the
contractor with a make-believe story for the homeowner.

Did you also fall for the self-tuning piano at the music shop?
Old January 16th 07, 11:45 PM posted to alt.home.repair

I'll bet the bag of grout says to mix it with clean water.

Often polymer modified thinsets and grouts will
specifically say NOT to add latex admix.

Doesn't surprise me a store clerk has no clue.

thetiler

zxcvbob wrote:

The tile store where I bought porcelain tiles for my bathroom a few
weeks ago sold me a quart of admix to put in the sanded grout mix
instead of water to keep it from cracking. And a pint of sealer to use
3 or 4 days after grouting. I don't remember what brand.

I think I need to read the directions on the grout bag carefully; maybe
I can return the admix when I take the extra box of tiles back...

Thanks,
Bob

does grout sealer make grout waterproof? bob Home Repair 3 October 20th 05 03:53 AM
Sub Contractor Doesn't Want to Apply Sealer to Cerramic Wall/Floor Tile Vince Home Repair 9 September 18th 05 04:02 PM
Grout Sealer Bishoop Home Ownership 1 April 30th 05 01:17 PM
Grout Sealer Bishoop Home Repair 2 April 30th 05 01:17 PM
How to apply sealer on interlock IHateSpam Home Repair 0 September 2nd 04 02:48 PM