Vince

Default Sub Contractor Doesn't Want to Apply Sealer to Cerramic Wall/Floor Tile

Are wall tiles normally not sealed, and just floor tiles?

How long must he wait before applying sealant ? He says 30 days
after grouting floor tiles, and he does not want to seal wall tiles at
all.

Thanks.

G Henslee

Vince wrote:
Are wall tiles normally not sealed, and just floor tiles?

How long must he wait before applying sealant ? He says 30 days
after grouting floor tiles, and he does not want to seal wall tiles at
all.

Thanks.

The tile or the grout? Unless you have an unglazed tile, then sealing's
not necessary. I suspect you mean the grout.

Grout pertaining to floors are usually sealed. For shower/tub, kitchen
splash walls it's also a good idea. Wall areas in other than non-wet
locations, not necessary.

Depending upon the conditions, weather, etc; 4-5 days is plenty of wait.
G Henslee

G Henslee wrote:
Vince wrote:

Are wall tiles normally not sealed, and just floor tiles?

How long must he wait before applying sealant ? He says 30 days
after grouting floor tiles, and he does not want to seal wall tiles at
all.

Thanks.

The tile or the grout? Unless you have an unglazed tile, then sealing's
not necessary. I suspect you mean the grout.

Grout pertaining to floors are usually sealed. For shower/tub, kitchen
splash walls it's also a good idea. Wall areas in other than non-wet
locations, not necessary.

Depending upon the conditions, weather, etc; 4-5 days is plenty of wait.

PS. Sealing the grout is really a simple chore. Doing it yourself may
save yourself a decent chunk of money. Check your local tile store(s)
for product recommendation.
Richard J Kinch

Vince writes:

Are wall tiles normally not sealed, and just floor tiles?

I think "sealing" is a waste of time. It only lasts a few months, and you
are not going to be diligent in reapplying. Once you let it go, there's no
point in keeping it up.

Grout so-called "sealers" are a recent invention of the chain retailers
looking for a high-margin add-on. Places like Color Tile would practically
give away the tile to get you to buy an precious kit of installation tools
and supplies.
SQLit

"Vince" wrote in message

Are wall tiles normally not sealed, and just floor tiles?

How long must he wait before applying sealant ? He says 30 days
after grouting floor tiles, and he does not want to seal wall tiles at
all.

Thanks.

Dude we can not see it from here.

What kind of tile?
Located?
How high on the wall?
Water splashes or direct contact?

When I sealed the GROUT on my new bathroom I waited 72 hours. Instructions
said 48 hours.

On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 11:31:02 -0500, Richard J Kinch
wrote:

I think "sealing" is a waste of time. It only lasts a few months, and you

Until a quart of RED paint is accidentally spilt right down the grout
line. Because my tile had been sealed (DIY) the paint wiped right up
with paper towels and a damp cloth. There is no sign of red in the
sandstone grout.

Grout so-called "sealers" are a recent invention of the chain retailers

I used a product at the local HD called Stand N Seal (also another
similar one), one can does 500 linear feet. Spray it as you walk,
absolutely no clean up...dries clear, etc...

Think sealing is not a good idea, huh?

Oren
At this moment I do not have a personal relationship
with a computer. Janet Reno, Attorney General 24 May 1998
G Henslee

Richard J Kinch wrote:
Vince writes:

Are wall tiles normally not sealed, and just floor tiles?

I think "sealing" is a waste of time. It only lasts a few months, and you
are not going to be diligent in reapplying. Once you let it go, there's no
point in keeping it up.

Grout so-called "sealers" are a recent invention of the chain retailers
looking for a high-margin add-on. Places like Color Tile would practically
give away the tile to get you to buy an precious kit of installation tools
and supplies.

Have you ever done a time tested comparison between sealed grout and non
sealed grout? or between waterbased vs. lcquer bases, or??? Have you
ever looked at enough tile installations to really know? Key word is
_know_. Or do you just "think" you know what you're talking about while
look for excuses to slam chain retailers. We're not talking about your
1-2 lifetime installations nor a crappo outlet like Color Tile. Are
they even still in business??

BTW, most chain retailers don't have jack**** for choices in sealers and
carry it only because it's asked for by the consumer. Oh and becausde
they sell things genius. OTH, tile supply houses will generally have a
wide selection for both the homeowner and pro.

Perhaps you shouldn't 'think' so much. Your opinion as a novice doesn't
help anyone.

Richard J Kinch

G Henslee writes:

Your opinion as a novice doesn't help anyone.

My opinion is based on 30 years experience and an engineering background.

Grout needs sealer like a driveway needs paint.
Richard J Kinch

Until a quart of RED paint is accidentally spilt right down the grout
line.

I'll grant you that if spilling quarts of paint is your test, then all bets
are off.
G Henslee

No _facts_ to back up his earlier statements (which he chose to snip).

G Henslee writes:

Your opinion as a novice doesn't help anyone.

My opinion is based on 30 years experience

Of never being wrong...

Grout needs sealer like a driveway needs paint.

Apples and oranges.

- end of subject

How to remove marble sealer jibberjabber Home Repair 2 March 11th 10 08:40 AM
Driveway sealer peeling off blueman Home Repair 2 April 20th 05 02:05 AM
New Deck Sealer Over Thompsons Wax Based Sealer: O.K. To Do ? Robert11 Home Repair 3 February 23rd 05 02:59 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Jack of all trades primer, sealer, undercoat --- master of none? Michael Brewer UK diy 1 March 5th 04 11:21 AM