Posted to alt.home.repair
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default Adding sealer to grout before you apply it

thetiler wrote:
In the old days prior to 1990 or so, when grouts were
not polymer modified yet, we would mix liquid polymer
admixes into the grout as a substitute for water. This
would make the grout more stain resistant and make
the color more consistent, but it doesn't truly seal it.

Possibly his contractor mixed polymer modified powder
with additional liquid admix, which is wrong and shouldn't
be done.
Don't give in to some kind of experiment. A bad
grout job will ruin everything.

The conventional way is to just use ordinary polymer
modified grout (as all grouts come these days)
mix it with clean water, and seal it with good sealer
after 3 days of curing.

The tile store where I bought porcelain tiles for my bathroom a few
weeks ago sold me a quart of admix to put in the sanded grout mix
instead of water to keep it from cracking. And a pint of sealer to use
3 or 4 days after grouting. I don't remember what brand.

I think I need to read the directions on the grout bag carefully; maybe
I can return the admix when I take the extra box of tiles back...

Thanks,
Bob