Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Question about laying tile on wood sub floor

Hi,

I am planning to use Hardibacker between the tile and wood subfloor. I
understand that I need to set a layer of thinset with a 1/4" trowel on
the subfloor and put the board on it before I screw it in. My question
is can I walk on the Hardibacker before the thinset dries? Or should I
wait for some time?

Thanks,

Mike

Posted to alt.home.repair

Use quality multi-purpose (latex modified) thinset, and I love using
those expensive screws that are specifically made for installing
cementboard- they are easy to use and have a wide head that grabs
fantastic. I used to use deck screws but the one's made for
cementboard start into the material, and set into it much better.
Keep off the board at least overnight. The thinset fills any voids
between the layers and should be allowed to dry.

Before you tile over the hardibacker, remember you must dampen
it first. (read the directions). Otherwise it sucks the moisture right
out of the thinset.

thetiler