Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default Question about laying tile on wood sub floor

wrote:

I am planning to use Hardibacker between the tile and wood subfloor. I
understand that I need to set a layer of thinset with a 1/4" trowel on
the subfloor and put the board on it before I screw it in. My question
is can I walk on the Hardibacker before the thinset dries? Or should I
wait for some time?

The thinset is a bonding coat and not a leveling coat, so it doesn't
need to be thick, so, yes, you can walk on it before it dries. Unless
the schedule doesn't allow it, I'd keep off of it as much as possible
for the first day.