Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Question - wood floor next to tile

Hello,

We are installing tile in the entry way and engineered wood floor in the
adjacent room and hallways. We would prefer not to use transition and
butt the wood floor against the tile. Is this recommended? If so, can
I lay down the wood right up against the tile or should I leave a gap
and fill with grout or other material?

tia,
-larry
Posted to alt.home.repair

larry barrios, 7/3/2006, 2:04:39 PM,
wrote:

Hello,

We are installing tile in the entry way and engineered wood floor in
the adjacent room and hallways. We would prefer not to use
transition and butt the wood floor against the tile. Is this
recommended? If so, can I lay down the wood right up against the
tile or should I leave a gap and fill with grout or other material?

tia,
-larry

Your wood floor will need to expand and contract. That is why
transition pieces are used.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Hello,

We are installing tile in the entry way and engineered wood floor in
the adjacent room and hallways. We would prefer not to use
transition and butt the wood floor against the tile. Is this
recommended? If so, can I lay down the wood right up against the
tile or should I leave a gap and fill with grout or other material?

tia,
-larry

Your wood floor will need to expand and contract. That is why
transition pieces are used.

And for aesthetics, the transition molding makes a nice frame for the tile.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

willshak sent this message::

wrote:

Hello,

We are installing tile in the entry way and engineered wood floor in
the adjacent room and hallways. We would prefer not to use
transition and butt the wood floor against the tile. Is this
recommended? If so, can I lay down the wood right up against the
tile or should I leave a gap and fill with grout or other material?

tia,
-larry

Your wood floor will need to expand and contract. That is why
transition pieces are used.

And for aesthetics, the transition molding makes a nice frame for the
tile.

So is there no way around this? Is it not a good idea to leave an
expansion just on the other end? We were going to float the floor. If
we nailed down the floor, won't that keep the floor from expanding? We
live in California, a friend told me that he's never noticed his wood
floor expand/contract.
Posted to alt.home.repair

larry barrios wrote:
willshak sent this message::

wrote:

[...]

You can do whatever you want, it's your house.
Northern California or Southern California? The name of the state does
not matter, on the east coast, that would be from New York to South
Carolina.
Here in NY, I put down a floating floor in a sunroom. It looked great
after I put it down in the Fall. Next Summer, I noticed that there were
ripples in the flooring near the outside wall. It turns out that I had
cheated and didn't allow the full 1/4" spacing at the ouside walls that
they recommended. Fortunately, I was able to remove the moulding and cut
some of the planking on the outside wall.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
To Email, remove the double zeroes after 'at'

Posted to alt.home.repair

larry barrios, 7/3/2006, 2:32:48 PM,
wrote:

willshak sent this message::

wrote:

[...]

This best advise I can give you is to read the manufacturer's
instructions. They do know something about their product and how it
behaves.
Posted to alt.home.repair

larry barrios wrote:

So is there no way around this? Is it not a good idea to leave an
expansion just on the other end? We were going to float the floor. If we
nailed down the floor, won't that keep the floor from
expanding? We live in California, a friend told me that he's never
noticed his wood floor expand/contract.

Consider: If the wood bit next to the immovable tile has to expand it has to
push the entire floor instead of the board in the middle having to push just
half the floor. Now your floor may be samll enough that inherent compression
of the wood could accomodate the "push," but why take a chance?

Don't nail wood designed to "float." Don't float wood that's designed to be
nailed. At least that's what I've been told.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub sent this message::

Consider: If the wood bit next to the immovable tile has to expand it has to
push the entire floor instead of the board in the middle having to push just
half the floor. Now your floor may be samll enough that inherent compression
of the wood could accomodate the "push," but why take a chance?

Don't nail wood designed to "float." Don't float wood that's designed to be
nailed. At least that's what I've been told.

Thanks for all the advice. I think leaving room for expansion is the
right way to go. The 2 surfaces might not end up even anyway so I'll
need a transition.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I used the color of the grout and found a close match of Caulking to fill in
the gap.
Been 3 yrs and all is good.

"larry barrios" wrote in message
Hello,

We are installing tile in the entry way and engineered wood floor in the
adjacent room and hallways. We would prefer not to use transition and
butt the wood floor against the tile. Is this recommended? If so, can I
lay down the wood right up against the tile or should I leave a gap and
fill with grout or other material?

tia,
-larry

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Just mee" wrote:

I used the color of the grout and found a close match of Caulking to fill in
the gap.
Been 3 yrs and all is good.

A good tile shop should have caulk that matches the grout they sell.

--
Silly sig to prevent isp ad