Posted to alt.home.repair
larry barrios larry barrios is offline

Default Question - wood floor next to tile

willshak sent this message::

badgolferman wrote:

larry barrios, 7/3/2006, 2:04:39 PM,
wrote:

Hello,

We are installing tile in the entry way and engineered wood floor in
the adjacent room and hallways. We would prefer not to use
transition and butt the wood floor against the tile. Is this
recommended? If so, can I lay down the wood right up against the
tile or should I leave a gap and fill with grout or other material?

tia,
-larry

Your wood floor will need to expand and contract. That is why
transition pieces are used.

And for aesthetics, the transition molding makes a nice frame for the
tile.

So is there no way around this? Is it not a good idea to leave an
expansion just on the other end? We were going to float the floor. If
we nailed down the floor, won't that keep the floor from expanding? We
live in California, a friend told me that he's never noticed his wood
floor expand/contract.