Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Other uses for spare 3-tab shingles?

mm wrote:
Are there any other uses for spare 3-tab shingles?

Have any of you ever used any for anything other than a roof? (Not
counting shingling a dog house)

I did a temp repair about 3 years ago on my roof and only used a
portion of the package of 3-tab standard asphalt? shingles.

Now the whole roof is redone, in a different color, and I'm still
saving the shingles, just like I save spare pieces of wood, metal,
cloth, etc. And I often use these scraps. More to the point,
whenever I need something small, I almost always have it.

But the shingles are still outside, and don't store well, and if I'm
never going to use them, I'll throw them away. I can't imagine that
freecycle wants them, less than a package.

Save a couple to put in your trunk in the winter, if you live in an area
that gets heavy snow. They're heavy, and if you get stuck, you can set
them under your back tires for traction.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:
Are there any other uses for spare 3-tab shingles?

Have any of you ever used any for anything other than a roof? (Not
counting shingling a dog house)

I did a temp repair about 3 years ago on my roof and only used a
portion of the package of 3-tab standard asphalt? shingles.

Now the whole roof is redone, in a different color, and I'm still
saving the shingles, just like I save spare pieces of wood, metal,
cloth, etc. And I often use these scraps. More to the point,
whenever I need something small, I almost always have it.

But the shingles are still outside, and don't store well, and if I'm
never going to use them, I'll throw them away. I can't imagine that
freecycle wants them, less than a package.

well, i have seem them nailed on outdoor stairs/ ramps for a good
non-skid surface.

Posted to alt.home.repair
tom tom is offline

Freecycle them to a local roofer. Tom
tom wrote:
They store just fine, IMO. Tom
mm wrote:
Are there any other uses for spare 3-tab shingles?

Have any of you ever used any for anything other than a roof? (Not
counting shingling a dog house)

I did a temp repair about 3 years ago on my roof and only used a
portion of the package of 3-tab standard asphalt? shingles.

Now the whole roof is redone, in a different color, and I'm still
saving the shingles, just like I save spare pieces of wood, metal,
cloth, etc. And I often use these scraps. More to the point,
whenever I need something small, I almost always have it.

But the shingles are still outside, and don't store well, and if I'm
never going to use them, I'll throw them away. I can't imagine that
freecycle wants them, less than a package.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"tom" wrote in message
oups.com...
They store just fine, IMO. Tom

Uh, not outside they don't. A month or two in the sun, and the glue spots
leak past that tiny plastic strip, and the whole stack is stuck together.
Trust me, I did construction cleanup as a kid, and getting all the crap off
the property for the landscape crew to move in was always a joy. Even full
bundles in the wrap are supposed to be stored under cover until delivered to
the work site.

OP should give them to local Habitat ReStore, if they will take them.
Otherwise, just use as expendable foot path/weed shield in garden, between
the rows. Or leave them at curb with a 'free' sign- that usually works.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair
tom tom is offline

Uh, again, they store outside just fine, albeit for awhile. Roofing for
twenty years, leaving bundles out in AZ sunshine for two months plus, a
cool morning, and they break up, no problem. I guess you just need to
know the technique. Early in the morning, pick up the bundle, drop one
end onto the roof/ground, put your foot upon it, and push straight
down. Bob's your uncle. Tom
wrote:
"tom" wrote in message
oups.com...
They store just fine, IMO. Tom

Uh, not outside they don't. A month or two in the sun, and the glue spots
leak past that tiny plastic strip, and the whole stack is stuck together.
Trust me, I did construction cleanup as a kid, and getting all the crap off
the property for the landscape crew to move in was always a joy. Even full
bundles in the wrap are supposed to be stored under cover until delivered to
the work site.

OP should give them to local Habitat ReStore, if they will take them.
Otherwise, just use as expendable foot path/weed shield in garden, between
the rows. Or leave them at curb with a 'free' sign- that usually works.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 02:34:50 GMT, wrote:

"tom" wrote in message
roups.com...
They store just fine, IMO. Tom

Uh, not outside they don't. A month or two in the sun, and the glue spots
leak past that tiny plastic strip, and the whole stack is stuck together.
Trust me, I did construction cleanup as a kid, and getting all the crap off
the property for the landscape crew to move in was always a joy. Even full
bundles in the wrap are supposed to be stored under cover until delivered to
the work site.

OP should give them to local Habitat ReStore, if they will take them.
Otherwise, just use as expendable foot path/weed shield in garden, between
the rows. Or leave them at curb with a 'free' sign- that usually works.

aem sends...

Label them "weed killing panels"...

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

"tom" wrote in message
roups.com...
They store just fine, IMO. Tom

Uh, not outside they don't. A month or two in the sun, and the glue spots
leak past that tiny plastic strip, and the whole stack is stuck together.
Trust me, I did construction cleanup as a kid, and getting all the crap off
the property for the landscape crew to move in was always a joy. Even full
bundles in the wrap are supposed to be stored under cover until delivered to
the work site.

OP should give them to local Habitat ReStore, if they will take them.

I would be glad to do that, but it's less than one package. Do you
really think they would want them?

Otherwise, just use as expendable foot path/weed shield in garden, between
the rows. Or leave them at curb with a 'free' sign- that usually works.

That's a good idea. My friend found me a gas grill that way.
....except I live on quiet street and I don't think any of my neighbors
even know how to repair a roof.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 20:14:48 -0500, Nate Nagel
wrote:

mm wrote:
[...]

A very god idea. Thanks.

And thanks to all.

nate

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 20:17:05 -0500, mm
wrote:

Are there any other uses for spare 3-tab shingles?

Have any of you ever used any for anything other than a roof? (Not
counting shingling a dog house)

I did a temp repair about 3 years ago on my roof and only used a
portion of the package of 3-tab standard asphalt? shingles.

Now the whole roof is redone, in a different color, and I'm still
saving the shingles, just like I save spare pieces of wood, metal,
cloth, etc. And I often use these scraps. More to the point,
whenever I need something small, I almost always have it.

But the shingles are still outside, and don't store well, and if I'm
never going to use them, I'll throw them away. I can't imagine that
freecycle wants them, less than a package.

I saw on tv where someone used it for temp traction in snow.
Considering how well tires are made today, and front wheel drive, I
don't know how often you would use them.

later,

tom @ www.MedJobSite.com