Plumbing For 2nd Floor Bathroom

Old November 30th 06, 12:10 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Plumbing For 2nd Floor Bathroom

Looking to add a 2nd floor bathroom (shower, toilet, sink). Existing
home has bathroom on 1st floor with cast iron pipe drains. Would like
to get some info as to how to plumb new PVC drainage run into existing
cast sewer pipe, as well as venting into existing stink pipe.

Old November 30th 06, 12:42 AM posted to alt.home.repair

EddyC wrote:

Looking to add a 2nd floor bathroom (shower, toilet, sink). Existing
home has bathroom on 1st floor with cast iron pipe drains. Would like
to get some info as to how to plumb new PVC drainage run into existing
cast sewer pipe, as well as venting into existing stink pipe.

You can NOT connect the 2nd floor waste lines into the
existing stack on the 2nd floor.

To do this job you will have to run a new stack inside the
wall(s) and connect to the old stack *below* the lowest 1st
floor fixture. If your town will allow 3" PVC (not all will),
you will at least have an easier time of it.

The top of your new stack can tie back into the old one
to avoid having to punch another hole in the roof.

Pick up a Basic Plumbing book that shows remodeling jobs.
There are many good books that will show exactly what to do.

Jim
Old November 30th 06, 01:12 AM posted to alt.home.repair

In addition to Jim's comments, I would recommend picking up a copy of "Code
Check Plumbing". I found this to be an excellent resource when I put a new
bathroom in my house several years ago.

--

"Speedy Jim" wrote in message
om...

Old November 30th 06, 11:38 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Thank you for the info. I suspected that I might have to run a new
pipe after reading a few other topics that were posted as well. What
is the easiest solution to getting the new PVC 3" pipe connected into
the existing cast iron waste pipe located in the basement?? Is it
better to cut out the existing cast iron fittings and do over with all
PVC or cut into it? Is there a tool available to make the connection
easier?

Old November 30th 06, 11:47 PM posted to alt.home.repair

EddyC wrote:

Thank you for the info. I suspected that I might have to run a new
pipe after reading a few other topics that were posted as well. What
is the easiest solution to getting the new PVC 3" pipe connected into
the existing cast iron waste pipe located in the basement?? Is it
better to cut out the existing cast iron fittings and do over with all
PVC or cut into it? Is there a tool available to make the connection
easier?

See if there is a clean-out WYE in the basement.
If you're lucky, remove the clean-out and connect there.
Otherwise, you have to cut the cast iron AND support the
weight of the stack. You really can't remove all the cast iron
as there will be vent connections buried in the bath wall.

With the stack supported, you can splice in a 4" PVC WYE
using Fernco couplings. Spend some time making a plan
to fabricate a support...

Jim