Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Brady

Default 2nd Bathroom toilet not flushing....no vent pipe connected.

Hi folks,

just moved in to a newly renovated house and found a few surprises.

There's a "rough" rough-in for a bathroom in the basement. looks like
they started connected some things but had pulled them out (evidenced by
some water pipes going along the walls but having been capped).
The main floor washroom is directly above this room and you can see the
pipes going up to it.

Off of the waste pipe that comes from the main floor toilet, there was a
~1.5" coming off of it that look like it might have gone to a vanity or
something (unsure). Well, they hadn't capped this pipe and it just
vented to the room.
House inspector said this could allow sewer gas to get in to the room.
So we capped it!

Anyhow, (making a short story long) the main floor toilet won't flush
now. And it's waste pipe doesn't have any other branches off of it
(except that 'capped' pipe I just spoke of).

I'm thinking the renovators just got lazy and couldn't run a vent pipe
over to the sink or wherever it's supposed to go....anyhow, did some
googling and found out about those Studor (air admittance valves).

I'm in Ontario, Canada and they seem to be ok in the code!

Is this something that will work for me?

Thanks
Sb
Posted to alt.home.repair
Brad

Yes, they are just a fancy one way valve that will allow air in to help
the pipe drain and then they close to keep sewer gas from coming out.
They are meant to be used for situations like this where it is hard to
plumb the vent pipe back to the main stack.
Brad

Posted to alt.home.repair
sb

Well, I picked up an air acceptance valve and connected it up....but I
overlooked something.

The waste pipe from the main level toilet runs through a rough-in
bathroom in the basement....I had attached the AAV on a 1.5" pipe that
the previous owner was using to vent to the room.
(to note: we capped this pipe and thus the toilet stopped working....I
opened the cap and the toilet would flush)

So the AAV works by the 'suction' in the pipe from the water wanting to
fall...BUT, I connected the AAV about 4-5' below the bottom of the
toilet. What happened, is that the water column that wants to fall is
actually creating a positive pressure (with respect to the AAV), so the
valve won't open.

How high does this AAV have to be connected for it to work?
I couldn't possibly attach the AAV closer than 1ft to the bottom of the
toilet...would this be adequate enough for vent relief?

Thanks