Big Al - The Peoples Pal

Default 2nd opinion on plumbing into drains

Had a local plumber around to quote for a job and surprisingly enough he
didn't really want hassle of actually carrying it out, as he was up to his
eyeballs in work. He proferred some advice to me about where to run the
drainage and that it was a easy-ish DIY job. He then left and said if I ran
into any problems actually carrying it out to give him a shout.

The 2nd opinion I want is in regard to:

Water from a washing machine going into a Soakaway drain rather than the
(presumably) Foul water drain that the sink water currently drains into.
The plumber recommended using the soakaway rather than the more awkward
problems I would have getting the drainage to the foul water drain. I would
tend disagree with him on gut instinct, as it might cause some pollution
problems.

So I'd be grateful if anyone could point me in the right direction, before I
make an expensive mistake.

TIA

--
Big Al - The Peoples Pal

Set Square

Big Al - The Peoples Pal wrote:

[...]

I can't quote chapter and verse, but it's certainly very undesirable - and
probably illegal - to put washing machine output water into a soakaway
rather than a foul drain.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Hugo Nebula

On Sat, 7 Feb 2004 01:15:05 -0000, a particular chimpanzee named "Big
Al - The Peoples Pal" randomly
hit the keyboard and produced:

Had a local plumber around ...
He proferred some advice to me about where to run the
drainage and that it was a easy-ish DIY job...
Water from a washing machine going into a Soakaway drain...
The plumber recommended using the soakaway rather than the more awkward
problems I would have getting the drainage to the foul water drain.

The guy may be a plumber, but he's also an arsehole! Untreated sewage
(for that's what it is) discharging straight into the ground is not a
good idea anywhere, and is illegal if you're anywhere near a drinking
water source (such as a reservoir or river catchment area or someone's
borehole).
--
Hugo Nebula
"The fact that no-one on the internet wants a piece of this
Big Al - The Peoples Pal

Hugo Nebula wrote in message
On Sat, 7 Feb 2004 01:15:05 -0000, a particular chimpanzee named "Big
Al - The Peoples Pal" randomly
hit the keyboard and produced:

Had a local plumber around ...
He proferred some advice to me about where to run the
drainage and that it was a easy-ish DIY job...
Water from a washing machine going into a Soakaway drain...
The plumber recommended using the soakaway rather than the more awkward
problems I would have getting the drainage to the foul water drain.

The guy may be a plumber, but he's also an arsehole! Untreated sewage
(for that's what it is) discharging straight into the ground is not a
good idea anywhere, and is illegal if you're anywhere near a drinking
water source (such as a reservoir or river catchment area or someone's
borehole).

Cheers for the information (both of you), I have not knocked any holes in
the walls as yet, so I can change my mind with regard to the routing of the
waste pipes.

Guess I'll have to ask a few more questions and do a search into moving a
foul drain by about 8 to 12 feet, to see if I want hassle now, or hassle
later. I'll probably not have that plumber back though.

--
Big Al - The Peoples Pal

Christian McArdle

Water from a washing machine going into a Soakaway drain rather than the
(presumably) Foul water drain that the sink water currently drains into.

If it gets really hairy, you can always consider a small sewage pump, which,
depending on your exact layout, might enable you to reach the proper drain.
I don't think I'd want the smelly soapy water rotting outside my window,
even if it was legal, which it probably isn't.

Christian.

Dave Plowman

In article ,
Big Al - The Peoples Pal wrote:
Water from a washing machine going into a Soakaway drain rather than the
(presumably) Foul water drain that the sink water currently drains into.
The plumber recommended using the soakaway rather than the more awkward
problems I would have getting the drainage to the foul water drain. I
would tend disagree with him on gut instinct, as it might cause some
pollution problems.

Some plumber - did he come on a horse?

A pal did just this for both the washing machine and dishwasher, and
succeeded in causing damage to the foundations of his house which cost
large sums to fix. Of course I'd guess the soakaway was also faulty, but
putting large amounts of foul water into something not designed for it is
asking for trouble anyway.

--
*If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Ed Sirett

On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 18:42:59 +0000, Big Al - The Peoples Pal wrote:

[...]

Most washing machines seem to be able to pump out through two or even
three length of w/m outlet hose.
Depending on the layout and what youare preapred to have in terms of
exterior or interior pipewor, you could be able to fix this problem
without recourse to digging anything up.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

Tony Williams

In article ,
Big Al wrote:

Guess I'll have to ask a few more questions and do a search into
moving a foul drain by about 8 to 12 feet, to see if I want
hassle now, or hassle later.

Disregarding anything else, soap residues would clog
your soakaway, creating quite a hassle just a few
years downstream.

--
Tony Williams.
Big Al - The Peoples Pal

Ed Sirett wrote in message
news
On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 18:42:59 +0000, Big Al - The Peoples Pal wrote:

snip
Cheers for the information (both of you), I have not knocked any holes

in
the walls as yet, so I can change my mind with regard to the routing of

the
waste pipes.

Guess I'll have to ask a few more questions and do a search into moving

foul drain by about 8 to 12 feet, to see if I want hassle now, or hassle
later. I'll probably not have that plumber back though.

Most washing machines seem to be able to pump out through two or even
three length of w/m outlet hose.
Depending on the layout and what youare preapred to have in terms of
exterior or interior pipewor, you could be able to fix this problem
without recourse to digging anything up.

Its okay, I have already installed the hot and cold water pipes 18" down
(with protective 40mm waste pipe sleeving) and have now decided to put the
waste in the same already open trench . This will enable the current
kitchen foul drain to be used with a bit of jiggery pokery to the cement.

SWMBO has big plans for extending the kitchen into that area, which would
entail moving the foul drain. I have weighed up the possiblities and
decided on the hassle later option (banking on it never happening) is the
one for me.

--
Big Al - The Peoples Pal