Posted to alt.home.repair

Default clogged gas tank on chipper-shredder

I have an old Craftsman 8-hp chipper-shredder with a plastic gas tank.
A valve screws to the bottom of the tank. From there a foot of hose
leads to a transparent filter, from which another foot of hose leads to
the carburetor.

When I try to start for the first time in the day there may be no gas in
the filter. When I'm using it it may shut down with no gas in the
filter. Taking the cap off the tank doesn't help. Unfastening the fuel
line and using a syringe to blow are into the fuel tank will get the
fuel going again.

I assume something sometimes blocks the screen in the tank. I can't get
a good look at the screen. In the past, I have put water in the tank,
shaken it, and dumped it. That didn't help. With the tank off the
shredder, gas and water drained with no trouble.

Has somebody cured a similar problem?
Posted to alt.home.repair

A couple isolated th oughts.

Maybe the valve is the problem?
Since the valve unscrews from the tank, sometimes there is a screen on
the valve.
Oven cleaner does a nice job stripping varnish and stuff from the
inside of Tecumseh carburetors (found this out by trial and error).
Might work on valves, and fuel screens.

Might have to take the tank off, take the valve out and spray oven
cleaner into the hole left by the valve you just removed.

When you finish, rinse well with hot water to remove the sodium
hydroxide, byproducts, etc. And let dry thoroughly.

Hope that helps.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Doghouse" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

put clean gravel in tank and shake well that will clean debris from its
inside

remove the valve before hand and use carb cleaner on it

clogged oil tank whistle Steve Home Repair 16 February 4th 21 06:53 PM
Water in my gas tank [email protected] Home Repair 11 September 29th 06 04:03 PM
Chipper/Shredder Recommendation Mac Cool Home Repair 9 May 23rd 06 03:23 PM
Gas tank drain? C & M Home Repair 4 July 31st 05 02:23 PM
rehabing an old gas tank Al Metalworking 10 March 9th 05 03:02 AM