Posted to alt.home.repair
Doghouse Doghouse is offline

Default clogged gas tank on chipper-shredder

wrote:
put clean gravel in tank and shake well that will clean debris from its
inside

remove the valve before hand and use carb cleaner on it

It looks as if gravel would be hard to shake out of this tank. It's
6.5" from the top opening to the bottom. The collar goes down 2". 1.5"
farther down is a horizontal baffle with a hole.

Through that hole I can see part of the drain screen. It seems to be
metal mesh about 3/4" in diameter. It must have been fixed in place
before the top half of the tank was molded on.

The tank and valve can drain fast, but sometimes I have to blow air
through the drain. I can't account for it unless there are tiny loose
particles in there a little heavier than gasoline and big enough to clog
the screen. If they would dissolve in lye, Stormin Mormon's idea might
work. Not having lye on hand, I twice filled the tank with water and
shook it out the top into a pan. I didn't see any suspended particles.
I'll see if it's better.