ground rod drivers

Old September 17th 06, 04:43 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default ground rod drivers

Need to install some ground rods, is there a hammer drill adapter tool
for this? really hate the sledge routine.

actually were removing some planters at a friends to widen his driveway
and his ground rods are in the planters.

wonder if we could drive them deeper his idea my misguided buddy
suggested we pull them out and relocate them. i seriously doubt they
can be pulled out and reinstalled.

or install new ones about a foot away in a non drive area.

Old September 17th 06, 05:09 AM posted to alt.home.repair

In article .com,
" wrote:

Need to install some ground rods, is there a hammer drill adapter tool
for this? really hate the sledge routine.

At the phone company, we recently switched from using 4-ft galvanized ground
rods to 8-ft copper-clad rods. I have an "official" post driver that works
amazingly well, identical to the item pictured he

http://www.hooverfence.com/tools/post-driver.htm

When the rod is far enough into the ground that the driver contacts the
ground, I simply invert the driver and finish pounding the rod the rest of the
way (another foot or so?). After all the rods I've driven using a hand sledge
hammer, this tool is a godsend. Good luck!
--

JR
Old September 17th 06, 05:53 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On 16 Sep 2006 20:43:44 -0700, "
wrote:

Need to install some ground rods, is there a hammer drill adapter tool
for this? really hate the sledge routine.

actually were removing some planters at a friends to widen his driveway
and his ground rods are in the planters.

wonder if we could drive them deeper his idea my misguided buddy
suggested we pull them out and relocate them. i seriously doubt they
can be pulled out and reinstalled.

or install new ones about a foot away in a non drive area.

I've seen rod drivers for demo hammers and for rotary hammers. I
don't think a hammer drill has enough oomph to the impacts.

Make sure you don't puncture anything, like wires, gas pipes, or even
drain pipes.

Paul

Old September 17th 06, 06:45 AM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Need to install some ground rods, is there a hammer drill adapter tool
for this? really hate the sledge routine.

actually were removing some planters at a friends to widen his driveway
and his ground rods are in the planters.

wonder if we could drive them deeper his idea my misguided buddy
suggested we pull them out and relocate them. i seriously doubt they
can be pulled out and reinstalled.

or install new ones about a foot away in a non drive area.

General Info
Ground Rod Driver Bit
This bit attaches to the hammer and allows it to be used to drive
ground rods. It will cost you about $50 and it is important that you
buy the bit after the hammer as there are several different attachment
standards (spline, SDS-Max etc.).

The tool is a hardened steel cup that fits over the end of a straight
rod -

If you live near a White Cap you can pick one up at the counter,
otherwise you can shop their website or alternatively purchase a bit at
Coastal Tool.

The ground rod driver bit will fit over rebar up to " in diameter.

Specific SDS type driver bit

http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW5847-.../dp/B00004RHFC

Maybe if you soak the ground for several days you might be able to pull
them out....but unless they're solid copper they're probably not worth
your time.

btw the driver bit works like a champ, I drove a 5/8 rod 8' long to
full depth in less time than it took to plug in the extension cord &
setup the hammer & climb up the ladder...... effortless is the best
way to describe rod driving with the hammer bit

cheers
Bob

Old September 17th 06, 11:59 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 23:09:30 -0500, Jim Redelfs
wrote:

In article .com,
" wrote:

Need to install some ground rods, is there a hammer drill adapter tool
for this? really hate the sledge routine.

At the phone company, we recently switched from using 4-ft galvanized ground
rods to 8-ft copper-clad rods. I have an "official" post driver that works
amazingly well, identical to the item pictured he

http://www.hooverfence.com/tools/post-driver.htm

When the rod is far enough into the ground that the driver contacts the
ground, I simply invert the driver and finish pounding the rod the rest of the
way (another foot or so?). After all the rods I've driven using a hand sledge
hammer, this tool is a godsend. Good luck!

Tha's what I always use. ITs just a standard fence post driver.
Old September 17th 06, 02:34 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Tha's what I always use. ITs just a standard fence post driver.

It certain beats a hammer (until you get close to the ground) put installing
an 8' rod still is a PITA.

Old September 17th 06, 10:48 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 16 Sep 2006 20:43:44 -0700, " wrote:

Need to install some ground rods, is there a hammer drill adapter tool
for this? really hate the sledge routine.

I use four 2ft lengths of 3/4" galvanized pipe connected with couplings. Put a
coupling on the top, and screw a pipe plug into it. Put it over the ground rod
&7 drive it until the pipe touches the ground. Unscrew a section of pipe & keep
driving. Continue until the last section of pipe touches the ground, and finish
with a sledge.

Retired Shop Rat: 14,647 days in a GM plant.
Now I can do what I enjoy: Large Format Photography

Web Site: www.destarr.com