Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207 BobK207 is offline

Default ground rod drivers

wrote:
Need to install some ground rods, is there a hammer drill adapter tool
for this? really hate the sledge routine.

actually were removing some planters at a friends to widen his driveway
and his ground rods are in the planters.

wonder if we could drive them deeper his idea my misguided buddy
suggested we pull them out and relocate them. i seriously doubt they
can be pulled out and reinstalled.

or install new ones about a foot away in a non drive area.

General Info
Ground Rod Driver Bit
This bit attaches to the hammer and allows it to be used to drive
ground rods. It will cost you about $50 and it is important that you
buy the bit after the hammer as there are several different attachment
standards (spline, SDS-Max etc.).

The tool is a hardened steel cup that fits over the end of a straight
rod -

If you live near a White Cap you can pick one up at the counter,
otherwise you can shop their website or alternatively purchase a bit at
Coastal Tool.

The ground rod driver bit will fit over rebar up to ¾" in diameter.

Specific SDS type driver bit

http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW5847-.../dp/B00004RHFC

Maybe if you soak the ground for several days you might be able to pull
them out....but unless they're solid copper they're probably not worth
your time.

btw the driver bit works like a champ, I drove a 5/8 rod 8' long to
full depth in less time than it took to plug in the extension cord &
setup the hammer & climb up the ladder...... effortless is the best
way to describe rod driving with the hammer bit

cheers
Bob