Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Central Heat / Air Question

Hi all,

Upon arrival at my home I noticed the digital thermostat for my a/c / heat
unit was blank (no reading). Upon removal of the digital thermostat I
notice there is no power to any of the wires leading up to the thermostat.
There is power to the a/c unit itself, but not to the thermostat. Any ideas
why?

TIA,

Tim

Posted to alt.home.repair

The digital thermostat I have has a battery in the thermostat
portion. Your mileage might vary.
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"Scott" wrote in message
. ..
Hi all,

Upon arrival at my home I noticed the digital thermostat for my
a/c / heat
unit was blank (no reading). Upon removal of the digital
thermostat I
notice there is no power to any of the wires leading up to the
thermostat.
There is power to the a/c unit itself, but not to the
thermostat. Any ideas
why?

TIA,

Tim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 20:31:30 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Scott" quickly quoth:

Hi all,

Upon arrival at my home I noticed the digital thermostat for my a/c / heat
unit was blank (no reading). Upon removal of the digital thermostat I
notice there is no power to any of the wires leading up to the thermostat.
There is power to the a/c unit itself, but not to the thermostat. Any ideas
why?

See if there's a fuse on your furnace unit which covers the 24-volt
supply which handles the electronics like the t-stat. Also trace the
wiring and make sure none of them has vibrated loose or broken.

Vote early, Vote often, Vote for Chad!
http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website & Database Development
Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Scott wrote:

Hi all,

Upon arrival at my home I noticed the digital thermostat for my a/c / heat
unit was blank (no reading). Upon removal of the digital thermostat I
notice there is no power to any of the wires leading up to the thermostat.
There is power to the a/c unit itself, but not to the thermostat. Any ideas
why?

TIA,

Tim

If there really _is_ no power on the leads (which would NOT normally
result in a blank thermostat -- that's more likely dead batteries),
then (more or less in order of probability):

popped fuse or breaker
failed transformer
failed wiring (e.g. rodent gnawing)

Posted to alt.home.repair

The power at the thermostat base should be about 24 volts AC, or
alternating current. Not to be confused with AC which is air
conditioning.

As another poster wrote, many digital thermostats require batteries.

If the thermostat still isn't getting 24 VAC, check to see if the
power is on for the furnace. Switch on the side, and circuit breaker.

I'm not sure how comfortable you are with working with electric, so I
won't go much farther with advice.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Scott" wrote in message
. ..
Hi all,

Upon arrival at my home I noticed the digital thermostat for my a/c /
heat
unit was blank (no reading). Upon removal of the digital thermostat I
notice there is no power to any of the wires leading up to the
thermostat.
There is power to the a/c unit itself, but not to the thermostat. Any
ideas
why?

TIA,

Tim

Posted to alt.home.repair

Depending upon how old the unit is; they used to have a transformer to
supply the 24 volts hanging like an accessory in the furnace closet or
area. Those failing wasn't unheard of or even extremely rare. They are
a common hardware item as they are also used for door-bell transformers.