Posted to alt.home.repair
roy roy is offline

Default looking to scrounge temp sensor

I am building an incubator for elementary kids to hatch chicken eggs. Part
of the challenge is to use only free, recovered items So far all items have
been free:
- Omaha Steaks shipping box
- plexiglass from discarded poster frame
- electric cord with plug
- light socket- computer cooling fan with wall wart (for circulation)
- wire mesh.

Only items I'm missing are thermostat and thermometer. I know that many
household appliances contain temperature regulation devices such as
thermostats, thermal switches and thermistors. Some appliances and systems
even have temp control circuits with digital readout.

My challenge is to find something that will hold temp at about 100°F (38°C)
and run on 120Vac. Clothes dryer? Oven? Iron? TV?

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

roy wrote:
I am building an incubator for elementary kids to hatch chicken eggs. ...

Only items I'm missing are thermostat and thermometer. ...

Electric blanket controller???

Posted to alt.home.repair

roy wrote:
I am building an incubator for elementary kids to hatch chicken eggs. Part
of the challenge is to use only free, recovered items So far all items have
been free:
- Omaha Steaks shipping box
- plexiglass from discarded poster frame
- electric cord with plug
- light socket- computer cooling fan with wall wart (for circulation)
- wire mesh.

Only items I'm missing are thermostat and thermometer. I know that many
household appliances contain temperature regulation devices such as
thermostats, thermal switches and thermistors. Some appliances and systems
even have temp control circuits with digital readout.

My challenge is to find something that will hold temp at about 100°F (38°C)
and run on 120Vac. Clothes dryer? Oven? Iron? TV?

electric blanket; or heating pad

Posted to alt.home.repair

roy wrote:
I am building an incubator for elementary kids to hatch chicken eggs.
Part of the challenge is to use only free, recovered items So far all
items have been free:
- Omaha Steaks shipping box
- plexiglass from discarded poster frame
- electric cord with plug
- light socket- computer cooling fan with wall wart (for circulation)
- wire mesh.

Only items I'm missing are thermostat and thermometer. I know that
many household appliances contain temperature regulation devices such
as thermostats, thermal switches and thermistors. Some appliances and
systems even have temp control circuits with digital readout.

My challenge is to find something that will hold temp at about 100°F
(38°C) and run on 120Vac. Clothes dryer? Oven? Iron? TV?

Jeeze! Use a hen.

After the eggs hatch:

Use a 75-watt light bulb. Check the chicks. If they move closer to the bulb,
increase the wattage.

You don't need no stinkin' "thermostat."

Posted to alt.home.repair

i fix laminating machines for a living and will send you a thermostat
and heater, have lots of used ones.

my concern is they top out at 400 degrees. care must be used to prevent
a bad day.

e mail me if your interested hallerb americaonline

Posted to alt.home.repair

roy wrote:
I am building an incubator for elementary kids to hatch chicken eggs. Part
of the challenge is to use only free, recovered items So far all items have
been free:
- Omaha Steaks shipping box
- plexiglass from discarded poster frame
- electric cord with plug
- light socket- computer cooling fan with wall wart (for circulation)
- wire mesh.

Only items I'm missing are thermostat and thermometer. I know that many
household appliances contain temperature regulation devices such as
thermostats, thermal switches and thermistors. Some appliances and systems
even have temp control circuits with digital readout.

My challenge is to find something that will hold temp at about 100°F (38°C)
and run on 120Vac. Clothes dryer? Oven? Iron? TV?

A dimmer switch on a light bulb?