DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   looking to scrounge temp sensor (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/173034-looking-scrounge-temp-sensor.html)

roy August 19th 06 02:47 PM

looking to scrounge temp sensor

I am building an incubator for elementary kids to hatch chicken eggs. Part
of the challenge is to use only free, recovered items So far all items have
been free:
- Omaha Steaks shipping box
- plexiglass from discarded poster frame
- electric cord with plug
- light socket- computer cooling fan with wall wart (for circulation)
- wire mesh.

Only items I'm missing are thermostat and thermometer. I know that many
household appliances contain temperature regulation devices such as
thermostats, thermal switches and thermistors. Some appliances and systems
even have temp control circuits with digital readout.

My challenge is to find something that will hold temp at about 100°F (38°C)
and run on 120Vac. Clothes dryer? Oven? Iron? TV?

dpb August 19th 06 03:28 PM

roy wrote:
I am building an incubator for elementary kids to hatch chicken eggs. ...

Only items I'm missing are thermostat and thermometer. ...

Electric blanket controller???

Reed August 19th 06 05:04 PM

roy wrote:
I am building an incubator for elementary kids to hatch chicken eggs. Part
of the challenge is to use only free, recovered items So far all items have
been free:
- Omaha Steaks shipping box
- plexiglass from discarded poster frame
- electric cord with plug
- light socket- computer cooling fan with wall wart (for circulation)
- wire mesh.

Only items I'm missing are thermostat and thermometer. I know that many
household appliances contain temperature regulation devices such as
thermostats, thermal switches and thermistors. Some appliances and systems
even have temp control circuits with digital readout.

My challenge is to find something that will hold temp at about 100°F (38°C)
and run on 120Vac. Clothes dryer? Oven? Iron? TV?

electric blanket; or heating pad

HeyBub August 19th 06 09:35 PM

roy wrote:
I am building an incubator for elementary kids to hatch chicken eggs.
Part of the challenge is to use only free, recovered items So far all
items have been free:
- Omaha Steaks shipping box
- plexiglass from discarded poster frame
- electric cord with plug
- light socket- computer cooling fan with wall wart (for circulation)
- wire mesh.

Only items I'm missing are thermostat and thermometer. I know that
many household appliances contain temperature regulation devices such
as thermostats, thermal switches and thermistors. Some appliances and
systems even have temp control circuits with digital readout.

My challenge is to find something that will hold temp at about 100°F
(38°C) and run on 120Vac. Clothes dryer? Oven? Iron? TV?

Jeeze! Use a hen.

After the eggs hatch:

Use a 75-watt light bulb. Check the chicks. If they move closer to the bulb,
increase the wattage.

You don't need no stinkin' "thermostat."

[email protected] August 20th 06 12:13 AM

looking to scrounge temp sensor

i fix laminating machines for a living and will send you a thermostat
and heater, have lots of used ones.

my concern is they top out at 400 degrees. care must be used to prevent
a bad day.

e mail me if your interested hallerb americaonline

[email protected] August 20th 06 12:46 PM

roy wrote:
I am building an incubator for elementary kids to hatch chicken eggs. Part
of the challenge is to use only free, recovered items So far all items have
been free:
- Omaha Steaks shipping box
- plexiglass from discarded poster frame
- electric cord with plug
- light socket- computer cooling fan with wall wart (for circulation)
- wire mesh.

Only items I'm missing are thermostat and thermometer. I know that many
household appliances contain temperature regulation devices such as
thermostats, thermal switches and thermistors. Some appliances and systems
even have temp control circuits with digital readout.

My challenge is to find something that will hold temp at about 100°F (38°C)
and run on 120Vac. Clothes dryer? Oven? Iron? TV?

A dimmer switch on a light bulb?

roy August 23rd 06 03:34 PM

looking to scrounge temp sensor

wrote in
ps.com:

Scrounge up an aquarium heater for it's parts-the glass breaks and the

As long as I can find a really heavy-duty heater, this might be the best
solution. Most small aquarium heaters are rated pretty low, so a light bulb
might be too much current.I'll post for one on Freecycle and see what
happens.

roy August 23rd 06 03:35 PM

looking to scrounge temp sensor

wrote in
ups.com:

Wterbed heater or just it's controller, if you use the heat mat bed it
in sand

I thought about that one and called the waterbed and spa store. They seemed
to think the temp range would be much lower than 100°. I'll see if I can
find one and alter it.