Default Built-in microwave oven temp sensor

My mom's Kenmore built-in microwave oven die recently.

My understanding is that the two common causes of
microwave oven failure are a blown fuse and and a
failed high-temperature sensor.

Didn't see a fuse in this one, though maybe there is
one way in the back, would a built-in typically have
a separate fuse or just rely on the house circuit breaker
like most other appliances?

I removed the temperature sensor from the top of
the oven. This is the high-temp safety switch, not
the food temperature sensor. Am I correct to
assume that if it is functional it will be normally closed?

As they say on the net, thanks in advance.

--

FF

Art Todesco

Funny this appeared just now. A few
minutes ago, the microwave
was cooking and apparently (don't really
know) was programmed
with way too large time. Anyway the
food burned. I stopped the
oven with no problem. Everything seemed
ok, however, after about
5 minutes I heard a click and the
display blanked out. Everything
right now, is still hot. Do high
temperature sensors self reset? This
is a GE Profile built in.

wrote:
My mom's Kenmore built-in microwave oven die recently.

My understanding is that the two common causes of
microwave oven failure are a blown fuse and and a
failed high-temperature sensor.

Didn't see a fuse in this one, though maybe there is
one way in the back, would a built-in typically have
a separate fuse or just rely on the house circuit breaker
like most other appliances?

I removed the temperature sensor from the top of
the oven. This is the high-temp safety switch, not
the food temperature sensor. Am I correct to
assume that if it is functional it will be normally closed?

As they say on the net, thanks in advance.

Appliance Repair Aid

Hi,

Everything right now, is still hot. Do high
temperature sensors self reset?

Most do not

These might help...
http://www.applianceaid.com/micro3.html
http://www.applianceaid.com/nuker.html

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Ross Mac

wrote in message
oups.com...
My mom's Kenmore built-in microwave oven die recently.

My understanding is that the two common causes of
microwave oven failure are a blown fuse and and a
failed high-temperature sensor.

Didn't see a fuse in this one, though maybe there is
one way in the back, would a built-in typically have
a separate fuse or just rely on the house circuit breaker
like most other appliances?

I removed the temperature sensor from the top of
the oven. This is the high-temp safety switch, not
the food temperature sensor. Am I correct to
assume that if it is functional it will be normally closed?

As they say on the net, thanks in advance.

--

FF

IF you have a blown fuse make sure to get an exact replacement...then make
certain that the waveguide covers are in tact...some microwaves have
cardboard covers and they get removed/ damaged during cleaning which allows
moisture into the waveguide ....well the the fuse blows...If you have
plastic ones perhaps they are cracked?....just a thought....good luck ,
Ross

Art Todesco

Too answer my own post, I removed the
microwave from its built in wood
cabinet and attempted to remove the
metal "jacket." They used Torx screws
with a non-tamper post in the middle of
the screw. I then drilled out a Torx
bit, but had to heat it up to remove the
temper. Once I had the tool, it was
easy. There was an envelope inside with
a schematic and a troubleshooting
guide. I found an open sensor. They