Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bilco door (basement entry) paint - scratches

Hi. I just painted a basement entry door using Benjamin Moore's
"IronClad" primer and topcoat. It is an alkyd enamel based paint. I
sprayed it on with a siphon feed gun I have. It looks great, but it
isn't very durable. I've waited about 4-5 days so far, but it still
scratches easily with a fingernail. I was careful to prep the door by
sanding it and cleaning it with compressed air and mineral spirits.

I was told that it might still take 6-8 weeks to be cured to the point
where it won't scratch so easily. I just wanted to see if that sounds
right, and if anyone here has any feedback about that particular brand
of paint. I've recently read that DTM type paint (ie Rustoleum 5200) or
even catalyzed urethane / two part polyurethane would provide a very
tough finish, but they are more hazardous to work with. Would it be
wise to apply a tough, clear top coat, like the automotive industry
does? I do have a dual cartridge respirator, but I'm not sure whether
those paints are still too nasty for a non-pro. Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Yes, some oil base products require up to two months to fully cure. Do not
put any other type of finish over the new paint for now. I don't use Benny
Moore, but my reasons are unrelated to performance. Did you thin the paint
before spraying it? If you thinned it beyond its specifications, it may not
cure properly or have the proper finish. The other factor is weather - did
it get rained on or has it been getting cold at night? Temperature will
affect curing.