Posted to alt.home.repair

Default sliding door question

we have seven standard double-pane sliding doors on the first floor of our
box-house. the two on the sun-porch have gotten very flaky especially during
the winter. one quit sliding completely last winter, and i sealed/taped it
shut last november... vizqueened it kept the heat in. Ya, i've tried to
remove it... lift up with gigantic screwdrivers, pound with angled prybars
but without success... it's about 1/8" short of coming out. The glass is ok
but the vacuum seal is broken. My solution has been to remove it, have it
resealed at a local window shop, replace the lower (brass) roller whose size
i still don't know, but will surely discover once i remove the door... now,
i got the bigger problem... namely, the lower aluminum track seems worn out.
My question (if i succeed with all the above) can i weld an iron or aluminum
rod (same diam as what was once there) to the lower frame of the door to make
the door slide smoothly as it once did (12-15 years ago) i'm ready to explore
any way to reclaim this door, anything, less that buying and installing two
new sliding door ($700) cause they're a matched pair. I'm in no hurry, but
my wife doesn't like this scene... it's *not* pristine... what ever is?

any suggestions are appreciated... really wondering about reclaiming that
lower door track!!

thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

To my knowledge there is no way to "reseal" a thermalpane glazing
unit. Replacement is your only option.

CR Lawrence is a wholesaler. They do show replacement track and
replacement rollers. I don't know if you can buy from them as an
individual, I doubt it.

A brand new set of doors at Lowes to replace your sliding patio
doors is between 250 and 600 dollars depending on several
variables. You will spend the 250 on parts and pieces for what
you have. Your choice.
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"AND Books" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 12 Jul 2006 07:05:04 +0000, AND Books broke out their crayolas and
scribbled:

[...]

Most of the adjusters I've seen are screws that are located at the
bottom edge or through a hole in the bottom edge of the door to move the
roller up and down by some fashion of a cam action. You usually have to
back off this cam screw to lower the door in order to pick up the door and
remove it from the track to replace the rollers. After replacing the
rollers you adjust the door height so the door can't be lifted up and
removed.

Our sliding glass doors used to take two hands to slide open and shut and
were noisy as hell. The house was built in '59 and the rollers had wore
out a couple of times, but the track was the real problem. Replacement
roller kits are available at HD & Lowes. Remove the old rollers and take
them with you because there are different size and style of rollers
available. The last time I repaired the doors I drew a profile of the
bottom track the door rides on and was able to find a new piece of track.
The track being damaged was the problem with the rollers failing every
couple of years. once the track was replaced the doors can be slid open
with a finger and is almost silent. Finding the right aluminum track
extrusion is the main problem.

I lucked out and found a piece that matched what I had at a place
that salvages windows, doors, plumbing, what have you. Paid $8.00 for a
six foot piece a year ago, that was "new old stock" that I was able to
match to the profile of the track I already had on the floor.

I believe the big box stores carry some extrusions for the brands of doors
that they carry or can still order it. I recomend that you try and find
the extrusion for replacing your doors bottom track if possible.

Adjuster image
http://images.orgill.com/200x200/1426014.JPG

single adjusters w/Nylon wheels
http://www.allaboutdoors.com/index.p...36a2b20d651489

Single adjusters w/steel wheels
http://www.allaboutdoors.com/index.p...36a2b20d651489

Rollers/ wheels
http://www.allaboutdoors.com/index.p...a 2b20d651489

Google / images = sliding glass door rollers produced above results for a
start.

Posted to alt.home.repair

AND Books wrote:
[...]

There is a replacement track that mounts right on top of the old track
and screws in place - we didn't see it at any stores, but door
contractor did something to wheels and gave us the track to install
ourselves. Don't recall the issue with the wheels for ours - something
unique that they could not be replaced.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Unless you live where heating and cooling is not an issue look into new
doors, LowEargon glass, less air infiltration and frames that transmit
less can cut 10-20$ a month from each door in energy loss, your payback
might not be long unless you live in Hawaii where utilities are not an
issue. Door construction energy wise has improved dramaticly over what
you have, which is just inneficient leaking junk.