Posted to alt.home.repair
AND Books AND Books is offline

Default sliding door question

we have seven standard double-pane sliding doors on the first floor of our
box-house. the two on the sun-porch have gotten very flaky especially during
the winter. one quit sliding completely last winter, and i sealed/taped it
shut last november... vizqueened it kept the heat in. Ya, i've tried to
remove it... lift up with gigantic screwdrivers, pound with angled prybars
but without success... it's about 1/8" short of coming out. The glass is ok
but the vacuum seal is broken. My solution has been to remove it, have it
resealed at a local window shop, replace the lower (brass) roller whose size
i still don't know, but will surely discover once i remove the door... now,
i got the bigger problem... namely, the lower aluminum track seems worn out.
My question (if i succeed with all the above) can i weld an iron or aluminum
rod (same diam as what was once there) to the lower frame of the door to make
the door slide smoothly as it once did (12-15 years ago) i'm ready to explore
any way to reclaim this door, anything, less that buying and installing two
new sliding door ($700) cause they're a matched pair. I'm in no hurry, but
my wife doesn't like this scene... it's *not* pristine... what ever is?

any suggestions are appreciated... really wondering about reclaiming that
lower door track!!

thanks