Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Modrall

Default engineered wood floor in basement

Hi...

We're thinking of putting one of those engineered wood floor systems
down in our basement (Easy-Lock at Lowes). In that area of the store,
they had samples of the flooring, and then they had 2 grades of vapor
barrier. The low end was basically just a sheet of plastic; the high
end was a sheet of plastic with some felt attached to make the floor
spongier. The latter bit puzzled me a little - if you really expect a
moisture problem, wouldn't the felt just trap it and become a mold
factory?

Thanks
-Mark
Posted to alt.home.repair

Fake wood floors can be noisey unless its padded. Kinda sounds like a
women in stilletos when anyone walks thru area/

If you have moisture water troubles FIX THAT FIRST with things like
interior french drain with sump pump.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Mark Modrall" wrote in message
Hi...

We're thinking of putting one of those engineered wood floor systems
down in our basement (Easy-Lock at Lowes). In that area of the store,
they had samples of the flooring, and then they had 2 grades of vapor
barrier. The low end was basically just a sheet of plastic; the high
end was a sheet of plastic with some felt attached to make the floor
spongier. The latter bit puzzled me a little - if you really expect a
moisture problem, wouldn't the felt just trap it and become a mold
factory?

I used Mannington engineered wood. They had tow types of barrier, one for
above grade, one for on or below. The below grade was a poly sheet but had a
poly foam, not felt backing. My guess is that the stuff you saw had
specific uses. Try a real flooring store and you may have better guidance
and better materials. You can see what I used at www.mannigton.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

Check out the Formica brand of laminate flooring, I hear it's more
waterproof to begin with, as a design spec.

Mark Modrall wrote:
Hi...

We're thinking of putting one of those engineered wood floor systems
down in our basement (Easy-Lock at Lowes). In that area of the store,
they had samples of the flooring, and then they had 2 grades of vapor
barrier. The low end was basically just a sheet of plastic; the high
end was a sheet of plastic with some felt attached to make the floor
spongier. The latter bit puzzled me a little - if you really expect a
moisture problem, wouldn't the felt just trap it and become a mold
factory?

Thanks
-Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Modrall

In article .com,
" wrote:

Fake wood floors can be noisey unless its padded. Kinda sounds like a
women in stilletos when anyone walks thru area/

If you have moisture water troubles FIX THAT FIRST with things like
interior french drain with sump pump.

I've been trying the aluminum foil/saran wrap taped to the floor to
test the moisture (and here in the Northeast this summer, we've had a
*lot* of it!) and so far the tape test shows no problem.

I was just perplexed that a product that said "moisture barrier" on
the label would then have a felt layer... If you *do* have moisture
problems, it seems like having a felt layer on the barrier is just
begging more.

I imagine the felt would cut the noise and make the floor more
comfortable, though.

-Mark
Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Mark Modrall" wrote in message
I was just perplexed that a product that said "moisture barrier" on
the label would then have a felt layer... If you *do* have moisture
problems, it seems like having a felt layer on the barrier is just
begging more.

Felt is a cotton product. I'm wondering if it is truly felt, or a synthetic
material that feels like it. Just like the fleece fabric made from soda
bottles that feels very soft.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tim Killian

Mark Modrall wrote:
In article .com,
" wrote:

Fake wood floors can be noisey unless its padded. Kinda sounds like a
women in stilletos when anyone walks thru area/

If you have moisture water troubles FIX THAT FIRST with things like
interior french drain with sump pump.

I've been trying the aluminum foil/saran wrap taped to the floor to
test the moisture (and here in the Northeast this summer, we've had a
*lot* of it!) and so far the tape test shows no problem.

I was just perplexed that a product that said "moisture barrier" on
the label would then have a felt layer... If you *do* have moisture
problems, it seems like having a felt layer on the barrier is just
begging more.

I imagine the felt would cut the noise and make the floor more
comfortable, though.

-Mark

Water in a basement can come from above too. All it takes is a leaky
drain or a frozen pipe and that wood floor will get very wet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

theres vinyl floor that looks like wood, costs less and getting wet
doesnt matter, easier to install too and probably more comfy and
definetely quieter.

in some applications hardwood deratives are a soultion looking for a
problem.

our hardwood is really rough, from a previous tub flood before we moved
here, 50 years of use etc etc....

currently covered by wall to wall we have thought about sheet vinly
looks like hardwood.

we have 4 dogs and carpet... it just doesnt stay clean.

vinyl would be a quick mop job easier and better.

I prefer the comfort of wall to wall. at 49 years old I remember when
that was the BEST flooring had by ritzy realtives and friends.....

now its hardwood, noisey harder on feet, does look nice but.....

wall to wall is still top of my list

Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 03:49:30 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Mark Modrall" wrote in message
I was just perplexed that a product that said "moisture barrier" on
the label would then have a felt layer... If you *do* have moisture
problems, it seems like having a felt layer on the barrier is just
begging more.

Felt is a cotton product. I'm wondering if it is truly felt, or a synthetic
material that feels like it. Just like the fleece fabric made from soda
bottles that feels very soft.

"felt" is a process, not a material. It means taking a mass of
fiber in random orientations, and mashing it until it becomes a
sheet. Animal fiber (especially wool) works better than most
plant fibers. Silk doesn't felt worth a damn.