Posted to alt.home.repair
Noozer

Default Left handed drill bits in Calgary... or at least Canada???

I've got a broken bolt in my cars engine block. I'm trying to locate a
source for left handed (counterclockwise) drill bits in Calgary, AB, Canada.
In most places they just look at me funny until I explain why I need it.
Some places have heard of it, but don't have any.

If I was in the U.S. I could buy a whole set for about $8... To order from
the US will end up adding $15 shipping, plus whatever duties, plus everyone
wants to use UPS - which adds $50 to the final total.

There MUST be someplace in Calgary I can go to purchase a set of these
things. If not, how about a Canadian website where I could order a set for a
REASONABLE shipping charge?

*sigh*

Help?!?

Posted to alt.home.repair
ameijers

"Noozer" wrote in message
I've got a broken bolt in my cars engine block. I'm trying to locate a
source for left handed (counterclockwise) drill bits in Calgary, AB,

Canada.
In most places they just look at me funny until I explain why I need it.
Some places have heard of it, but don't have any.

Try asking for bolt extractors. I can almost guarantee local 'purveyor to
the trade' tool place will have them.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Noozer" wrote in message
I've got a broken bolt in my cars engine block. I'm trying to locate a
source for left handed (counterclockwise) drill bits in Calgary, AB,
Canada. In most places they just look at me funny until I explain why I
need it. Some places have heard of it, but don't have any.

What you want it a normal type drill bit and an "easy out" extractor. Drill
a hole into the bolt, then use the extractor in a wrench to turn it out
counter clockwise. Go to http://www.mcmaster.com/ and page 2709 to see
what you need.

Posted to alt.home.repair
JohnH

What you want it a normal type drill bit and an "easy out" extractor.

While on the subject of Easy Outs, what has your real world success
rate been with these? Mine has approached around 0%. I've found that
when something is so rusted in that it breaks the bolt head, it does
the same to these things (or it just strips and spins).

Posted to alt.home.repair
RichK

"JohnH" wrote in message

While on the subject of Easy Outs, what has your real world success
rate been with these? Mine has approached around 0%. I've found that
when something is so rusted in that it breaks the bolt head, it does
the same to these things (or it just strips and spins).

Easy outs are hit-miss. I've been able to get some smaller bolts out.
Broke one trying. You're right not a solution for all cases.

I bough a set of Bolt Extractors from Sears a few days ago. About to test
them on some car bolts, where the heads were reduced in size, so no socket
fits.

RichK

PS The first trick is to put a hole in the bolt :-). The drill bit
sharpening thread I started a couple of days ago, was after I ruined a
handful of bits trying to drill a hole. Easy Out would not touch that one.
Ended up drilling and all the out.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"JohnH" wrote in message
oups.com...

What you want it a normal type drill bit and an "easy out" extractor.

While on the subject of Easy Outs, what has your real world success
rate been with these? Mine has approached around 0%. I've found that
when something is so rusted in that it breaks the bolt head, it does
the same to these things (or it just strips and spins).

We use them for disassembling tooling. stainless steel bolts in aluminum.
I'd say 90% or more.

Posted to alt.home.repair
PanHandler

"RichK" wrote in message
. ..

"JohnH" wrote in message

While on the subject of Easy Outs, what has your real world success
rate been with these? Mine has approached around 0%. I've found that
when something is so rusted in that it breaks the bolt head, it does
the same to these things (or it just strips and spins).

Easy outs are hit-miss. I've been able to get some smaller bolts out.
Broke one trying. You're right not a solution for all cases.

It's an especially fun job removing the stub from the bolt. Wonder if anyone
makes an Easy Out stub extractor? :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair
lp13-30

Snap On makes them. Check out their website if you do not have a
distributor in your area. Good luck Larry

Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207

lp13-30 wrote:
Snap On makes them. Check out their website if you do not have a
distributor in your area. Good luck Larry

Source for left hand drill bits

http://www.mcmaster.com/

order online or over the phone

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker LT

Explain which bolt it is, what size it is, and how deep is it broken off.
IE: is it flush or broken off down in the hole or is part of it sticking
out?

--
Steve Barker

"Noozer" wrote in message
I've got a broken bolt in my cars engine block. I'm trying to locate a
source for left handed (counterclockwise) drill bits in Calgary, AB,
Canada. In most places they just look at me funny until I explain why I
need it. Some places have heard of it, but don't have any.

If I was in the U.S. I could buy a whole set for about $8... To order from
the US will end up adding $15 shipping, plus whatever duties, plus
everyone wants to use UPS - which adds $50 to the final total.

There MUST be someplace in Calgary I can go to purchase a set of these
things. If not, how about a Canadian website where I could order a set for
a REASONABLE shipping charge?

*sigh*

Help?!?

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 08:13:31 -0500, "PanHandler"
wrote:

"RichK" wrote in message

"JohnH" wrote in message

While on the subject of Easy Outs, what has your real world success
rate been with these? Mine has approached around 0%. I've found that
when something is so rusted in that it breaks the bolt head, it does
the same to these things (or it just strips and spins).

Easy outs are hit-miss. I've been able to get some smaller bolts out.
Broke one trying. You're right not a solution for all cases.

It's an especially fun job removing the stub from the bolt. Wonder if anyone
makes an Easy Out stub extractor? :-)

Yes, they do. I forget where I see it. And it's not made by Easy
Out.

If it is sold by JCWhitney, it may or may not be high quality, but
even moderate quality might be worth it. I don't think the OP has a
stub, but if he does, it would be better to work on the stub first.

BTW OP, run the engine if you possibly can until it is hot. That's
how I got my bad bolt out. I had supertorquesd a cheap 6" extension,
so the top turned and the bottom of the same part stayed in one place.
After I got the engine hot, a similarly cheap extension worked. If I
recall correctly, I had to put a pipe on the ratchet handle to get
enough torque for both steps. But they were 3/8" socket wrenches. A
half inch ratchet or breaker bar is longer. Still, the pipe works
well. (I think I just used fairly thin steel pipe, like chair legs
from the simplest 1960's kitchen chairs, because that's what I had.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

First, Steve asks good questoins.

On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 09:49:51 GMT, "Noozer" wrote:

I've got a broken bolt in my cars engine block. I'm trying to locate a
source for left handed (counterclockwise) drill bits in Calgary, AB, Canada.
In most places they just look at me funny until I explain why I need it.
Some places have heard of it, but don't have any.

If I was in the U.S. I could buy a whole set for about $8... To order from

Please, let me know where. I'm serious, and I would appreciate it.

I have had a lot of trouble finding them. Vermont American has only 2
or 3 sizes on the web, a small size that is about 2 or 3 dollars and a
large size that was 12 iirc. I didn't find them at the VA website,
but by using a general search on left handed drill bits.

the US will end up adding $15 shipping, plus whatever duties, plus everyone
wants to use UPS - which adds $50 to the final total.

The only store I found them at was the big hardware store in Dallas,
that is not Home Depot (which is also headquartered in Dallas I think)

They once shipped me some shelf pegs and charged 37cents for shipping
and handling. Whatever the cost was of a first class stamp at the
time. I sent a letter but they probably have email by now. Pretty
sure they don't have an online catalog, so describe what you want.

I'll remember the name if someone tells me.

There MUST be someplace in Calgary I can go to purchase a set of these
things. If not, how about a Canadian website where I could order a set for a
REASONABLE shipping charge?

I thought we had NAFTA now and duties were low or non-existant among
the US, Mexico, and Canada??

*sigh*

Help?!?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Noozer

"mm" wrote in message
First, Steve asks good questoins.

On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 09:49:51 GMT, "Noozer" wrote:

I've got a broken bolt in my cars engine block. I'm trying to locate a
source for left handed (counterclockwise) drill bits in Calgary, AB,
Canada.
In most places they just look at me funny until I explain why I need it.
Some places have heard of it, but don't have any.

If I was in the U.S. I could buy a whole set for about $8... To order from

Please, let me know where. I'm serious, and I would appreciate it.

Amazon.com...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=...%2Ci%3At ools

Posted to alt.home.repair
Noozer

"mm" wrote in message
First, Steve asks good questoins.

On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 09:49:51 GMT, "Noozer" wrote:

I've got a broken bolt in my cars engine block. I'm trying to locate a
source for left handed (counterclockwise) drill bits in Calgary, AB,
Canada.
In most places they just look at me funny until I explain why I need it.
Some places have heard of it, but don't have any.

If I was in the U.S. I could buy a whole set for about $8... To order from

Please, let me know where. I'm serious, and I would appreciate it.

....or eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/13-PCS-TITANIUM-L...QQcmdZViewItem

Posted to alt.home.repair
Nonnymus

Noozer wrote:
"mm" wrote in message
First, Steve asks good questoins.

On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 09:49:51 GMT, "Noozer" wrote:

I've got a broken bolt in my cars engine block. I'm trying to locate a
source for left handed (counterclockwise) drill bits in Calgary, AB,
Canada.
In most places they just look at me funny until I explain why I need it.
Some places have heard of it, but don't have any.

If I was in the U.S. I could buy a whole set for about $8... To order from

Please, let me know where. I'm serious, and I would appreciate it.

Amazon.com...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=...%2Ci%3At ools

I've used "Easy Outs" my entire life to get out broken studs
and snapped off bolts. I guess I have learned something
new, but don't really understand the "why." When I've used
the Easy Out (extractors), they were always tapered and had
left hand threads. I just drilled an appropriately sized
hole in the bolt or stud, inserted the Easy Out into the
hole and began "tightening" it until the bolt came out.
What would be the reason or advantage of drilling the hole
with a left hand bit? Could the reason be that using a
right handed bit on a LOOSE-but-broken-off stud or bolt
would move it further into the hole as you drilled? I've
never had one that was loose, so I never worried about it.
In all my cases, the blasted things were frozen solid in the
hole. Is that the reason for the LH drill bits?

Nonnymus

Posted to alt.home.repair
Michael Daly

On 18-Jun-2006, mm wrote:

If not, how about a Canadian website where I could order a set for a
REASONABLE shipping charge?

I thought we had NAFTA now and duties were low or non-existant among
the US, Mexico, and Canada??

What does NAFTA have to do with shipping charges?

Mike
Posted to alt.home.repair

Princess Auto might be of help. If they don't stock them they might be
able to order them.
If this bolt is accessible and you have A wire feed welder you can try
to remove it by taking A nut and clamping it over what is left of the
broken bolt. Then fill the center of the nut with weld until you have,in
effect, welded A new head on the bolt. You may have to do this trick A
number of times before the bolt will back all the way out. The heat of
the welding process will help loosen it also. I have found A good
soaking with Kroill(this stuff is not sold in stores. I get mine
on-line) If Kroill is not available PB Blaster will help break down the
rust.
Air impact wrenches might break it loose better than trying hand tools.
Air seems to apply better circular pressure to get stuck fasteners
moving than the more linear pressure of the human hand.

Good Luck!
H.R.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 21:15:21 GMT, "Noozer" wrote:

"mm" wrote in message
.. .
First, Steve asks good questoins.

On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 09:49:51 GMT, "Noozer" wrote:

I've got a broken bolt in my cars engine block. I'm trying to locate a
source for left handed (counterclockwise) drill bits in Calgary, AB,
Canada.
In most places they just look at me funny until I explain why I need it.
Some places have heard of it, but don't have any.

If I was in the U.S. I could buy a whole set for about $8... To order from

Please, let me know where. I'm serious, and I would appreciate it.

Amazon.com...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=...%2Ci%3At ools

Hmmm. I can't get rid of the feeling that that place is for books, or
for Amazons.

Thanks a lot. I'm going to check it out right now.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 21:58:57 GMT, "Michael Daly"
wrote:

On 18-Jun-2006, mm wrote:

If not, how about a Canadian website where I could order a set for a
REASONABLE shipping charge?

I thought we had NAFTA now and duties were low or non-existant among
the US, Mexico, and Canada??

What does NAFTA have to do with shipping charges?

Elsewhere in his post he referred to duties. I wasn't going to hunt
for that spot. (But at least we don't use top posting. With that,
nothing is under the line it refers to.)

Mike

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 14:40:54 -0700, Nonnymus wrote:

Noozer wrote:
"mm" wrote in message
[...]

I've only had need for left-handed bits when I was dissassembling
Black and Decker appliances (I ended up with a boatload of broken
ones) and there there were small screws, not rusted at all.

With right handed bits, I would start small and keep using bigger ones
until I drilled out allmost the whole shank, the head fell off the
shank, and the shank was close to falling out the other end. My cheap
set of screw extracters didn't have one small enough to go into even
the biggest of these little holes, and I don't think a good set comes
with one much smaller.

With left handed bits it took much less time. I only had to drill once
(which worked out fine since I only had one or maybe two drills
smaller than the screw I was working on, and often when I was only 1/3
of the way in, the screw would come out. FTM, there wasn't enough for
a screw extractor to bite on at that point.

I have no idea how it would work on big ones for an engine, but he
asked the question, so I did my best to answer.

I can't emphasize enough that I think it is important to warm the
engine to operating temperature or at least somewhat, regardless of
what method is used.

Maybe when it is hot, and hotter still from the spinning bit, that
would break down the rust and it would come out. I don't really know
the nature of rusted in bolts. Is the rust weaker than solid steel, or
does it literally bind the bolt to the hole? It seems like the rust
might break down when hot.

Nonnymus

Posted to alt.home.repair
Nonnymus

mm wrote:

With left handed bits it took much less time. I only had to drill once
(which worked out fine since I only had one or maybe two drills
smaller than the screw I was working on, and often when I was only 1/3
of the way in, the screw would come out. FTM, there wasn't enough for
a screw extractor to bite on at that point.

I have no idea how it would work on big ones for an engine, but he
asked the question, so I did my best to answer.

Interesting, and it makes sense. I'd just never thought
about using left handed bits. Thanks

Nonnymus
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 21:16:30 GMT, "Noozer" wrote:

"mm" wrote in message
.. .
First, Steve asks good questoins.

On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 09:49:51 GMT, "Noozer" wrote:

I've got a broken bolt in my cars engine block. I'm trying to locate a
source for left handed (counterclockwise) drill bits in Calgary, AB,
Canada.
In most places they just look at me funny until I explain why I need it.
Some places have heard of it, but don't have any.

If I was in the U.S. I could buy a whole set for about $8... To order from

Please, let me know where. I'm serious, and I would appreciate it.

...or eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/13-PCS-TITANIUM-L...QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks. The Amazon looks pretty cheap alright, compared to what else
I've seen. The ebay doesn't want to show a picture, but maybe enxt
time.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Noozer

I've used "Easy Outs" my entire life to get out broken studs and snapped
off bolts. I guess I have learned something new, but don't really
understand the "why."

I've never had much luck with "Easy Outs". Mostly it was just a case of the
bolt being too stubborn to move though.

When I've used the Easy Out (extractors), they were always tapered and
had left hand threads. I just drilled an appropriately sized hole in the
bolt or stud, inserted the Easy Out into the hole and began "tightening"
it until the bolt came out. What would be the reason or advantage of
drilling the hole with a left hand bit?

The big advantage is that the drilling action may loosen up the bolt and
make it easier to remove.

Could the reason be that using a right handed bit on a
LOOSE-but-broken-off stud or bolt would move it further into the hole as
you drilled? I've never had one that was loose, so I never worried about
it. In all my cases, the blasted things were frozen solid in the hole. Is
that the reason for the LH drill bits?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Noozer

wrote in message
Princess Auto might be of help. If they don't stock them they might be
able to order them.

I'll give them a try... Didn't see any last time I was in there, but I was
in a bit of a hurry.

If this bolt is accessible and you have A wire feed welder you can try
to remove it by taking A nut and clamping it over what is left of the
broken bolt.

I haven't got access to even see the bolt at this point as my view is
blocked by the timing belt cover. I was hoping to have all the necessary
tools handy before I started. I can spare $20 for a a couple bits, even if
it turns out that I don't need them now.

At this point all I know is that the bolt broke off due to sideways stresses
and not due to over torquing or corrosion.

I'm going out to the garage shortly to start dismantling this thing... Wish
me luck!

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 16:16:09 -0700, Nonnymus wrote:

mm wrote:

With left handed bits it took much less time. I only had to drill once
(which worked out fine since I only had one or maybe two drills
smaller than the screw I was working on, and often when I was only 1/3
of the way in, the screw would come out. FTM, there wasn't enough for
a screw extractor to bite on at that point.

I have no idea how it would work on big ones for an engine, but he
asked the question, so I did my best to answer.

Interesting, and it makes sense. I'd just never thought
about using left handed bits. Thanks

About 10 years ago, I went to HD and Lowes and Ace Hardware, and two
other non-chains, and no one had even heard of them. I don't know
where I heard of them.

The great hardware store in Dallas is Elliots. I remembered just
before I put in Dallas in yp.yahoo.com . That's how memory works.
There's one halfway between downtown and Parkland Memorial Hospital,
and one in or near Plano, and one other. www.elliottshardware.com/

And I also remember that I was wrong. They do have an online catalog
but didn't have the drill bits in it. I haven't been the store to ask
what this means.

Nonnymus

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stormin Mormon

Harbor Freight, mail order comes to mind.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

Drill bits Charlie S. Home Repair 9 March 16th 06 12:01 PM
drill bit sharpening [email protected] Metalworking 22 April 29th 05 04:29 PM
James Krenov taught me to make wood boring drill bits John Woodworking 38 February 17th 05 07:31 PM
Drill driver (screwdriver) bits Eugene Woodworking 15 August 22nd 04 08:56 PM
S2S drill bits or S2S to SDS converter Charlie UK diy 2 July 11th 03 01:45 AM