Posted to alt.home.repair
Nonnymus

Default Left handed drill bits in Calgary... or at least Canada???

Noozer wrote:
"mm" wrote in message
First, Steve asks good questoins.

On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 09:49:51 GMT, "Noozer" wrote:

I've got a broken bolt in my cars engine block. I'm trying to locate a
source for left handed (counterclockwise) drill bits in Calgary, AB,
Canada.
In most places they just look at me funny until I explain why I need it.
Some places have heard of it, but don't have any.

If I was in the U.S. I could buy a whole set for about $8... To order from

Please, let me know where. I'm serious, and I would appreciate it.

Amazon.com...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=...%2Ci%3At ools

I've used "Easy Outs" my entire life to get out broken studs
and snapped off bolts. I guess I have learned something
new, but don't really understand the "why." When I've used
the Easy Out (extractors), they were always tapered and had
left hand threads. I just drilled an appropriately sized
hole in the bolt or stud, inserted the Easy Out into the
hole and began "tightening" it until the bolt came out.
What would be the reason or advantage of drilling the hole
with a left hand bit? Could the reason be that using a
right handed bit on a LOOSE-but-broken-off stud or bolt
would move it further into the hole as you drilled? I've
never had one that was loose, so I never worried about it.
In all my cases, the blasted things were frozen solid in the
hole. Is that the reason for the LH drill bits?

Nonnymus