Posted to alt.home.repair
phaeton

Default Removing dog urine smell from carpet.

Any suggestions for removing the smell of dog urine from carpet? Up to
and including professional services? I've tried the Miracle Pet and
Enviro Pet enzyme based stuff, but the smell keeps coming back.

The unfortunate thing about the enzyme stuff is that it appears to have
stripped all the Stainmaster Treatment off the fibers the first time
around, so the second time the pee just soaked right down.

The carpet was installed less than 4 months ago. There are two rooms
that are unbearable to sit in, one has a concrete subfloor, the other
is MDF.

My guess is that steam cleaning would just make it worse.

Am i simply S.O.L?

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Corinne

Sorry to hear this.

My neighbor has a puppy, and swears by "Kids and Pets" that can be
purchased at Walmart. It is around $6, but it does have the enzyme
based stuff in it.

It is purchased in the cleaning supply area, not in the pet department.

Good luck.

Corinne
phaeton wrote:

Any suggestions for removing the smell of dog urine from carpet? Up to
and including professional services? I've tried the Miracle Pet and
Enviro Pet enzyme based stuff, but the smell keeps coming back.

The unfortunate thing about the enzyme stuff is that it appears to have
stripped all the Stainmaster Treatment off the fibers the first time
around, so the second time the pee just soaked right down.

The carpet was installed less than 4 months ago. There are two rooms
that are unbearable to sit in, one has a concrete subfloor, the other
is MDF.

My guess is that steam cleaning would just make it worse.

Am i simply S.O.L?

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

send carpet out to be cleaned, replace the pad and possibly seal the
floor with outdoor polyurethane

there are companies that send the carpet thru a bath...

sorry its the only way...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Any suggestions for removing the smell of dog urine from carpet?

Sure - I'm not sure how this works theoretically, but it worked for me
in practice:
First saturate the carpet with plenty of baking soda (work it into the
carpet pretty well), let sit for a few days.
Vaccuum thoroughly.
Second, make a vinegar solution (maybe 10% vinegar?) in a wet carpet
cleaner/steamer, go over the spot several times with that, then vaccuum
as much as possible to dry.
(Baking soda alone didn't fix the problem, but I didn't try any enzyme
treatments or specific pet cleaners)
No more pet urine smell from my carpet,
Andy

Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

dear SOL, here's how we did it:
1. remove dog and cats and kids and other creatures, fumes ahead:
2. remove all carpet and padding from the room and discard it.
3. sadly, mdf and concrete are both similar to a sponge.
4. old Citra-solv full strength we used in mop water in the 1980's to
kill off the cat odors. now since the 1990's we are most thrilled with
KIL-ODER cherry almond get a couple of $30 gallons available from
www.grainger.com
5. deodorize following directions until you are satisfied. allow to dry
completely.
6. at this point you will need to determine if there is a dog or other
creatures in your home's future.
7. if you have pets the next flooring will probably be armstrong
commercial grade floor tile. any carpets will either be washing machine
washable rubberback or heavy duty black rubberback garden hose washable
polyester mats.
8. if no pets then you will need to tile over sealed or replaced porous
wood.
9. info: for the wood, look at Bin primer or Killz primer it even
sticks to glass, be careful of the primer fumes.
10. you could follow these directions or else give up now and call a
fire cleanup company who will do all the deodorizing and cleaning work
and a contractor for the floor tile.
11. we have cat doors for our cats and small dogs.
12. i predict no wall-to-wall carpet is in your pet-lover's future for
this year.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sacramento Dave

Don't waste time trying to clean it. Remove the carpet and the pad , seal
the floor wood or concrete, Replace every thing. That always works, Keep the
dog outside.

oups.com...