Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

Default Removing dog urine smell from carpet.

dear SOL, here's how we did it:
1. remove dog and cats and kids and other creatures, fumes ahead:
2. remove all carpet and padding from the room and discard it.
3. sadly, mdf and concrete are both similar to a sponge.
4. old Citra-solv full strength we used in mop water in the 1980's to
kill off the cat odors. now since the 1990's we are most thrilled with
KIL-ODER cherry almond get a couple of $30 gallons available from
www.grainger.com
5. deodorize following directions until you are satisfied. allow to dry
completely.
6. at this point you will need to determine if there is a dog or other
creatures in your home's future.
7. if you have pets the next flooring will probably be armstrong
commercial grade floor tile. any carpets will either be washing machine
washable rubberback or heavy duty black rubberback garden hose washable
polyester mats.
8. if no pets then you will need to tile over sealed or replaced porous
wood.
9. info: for the wood, look at Bin primer or Killz primer it even
sticks to glass, be careful of the primer fumes.
10. you could follow these directions or else give up now and call a
fire cleanup company who will do all the deodorizing and cleaning work
and a contractor for the floor tile.
11. we have cat doors for our cats and small dogs.
12. i predict no wall-to-wall carpet is in your pet-lover's future for
this year.