Re-soldering copper pipe

Old April 24th 06, 03:18 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Re-soldering copper pipe

I started a plumbing project and changed my mind mid-project. Is it
safe to reheat a joint and turn an elbow 180 degrees? By safe, I mean,
will the solder continue to provide a sound, leak-proof joint?

Old April 24th 06, 03:30 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"Les" wrote in message
oups.com...
I started a plumbing project and changed my mind mid-project. Is it
safe to reheat a joint and turn an elbow 180 degrees? By safe, I mean,
will the solder continue to provide a sound, leak-proof joint?

When it's hot brush more flux on joint then add more solder.

Old April 24th 06, 04:19 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"Les" wrote in message
oups.com...
I started a plumbing project and changed my mind mid-project. Is it
safe to reheat a joint and turn an elbow 180 degrees? By safe, I mean,
will the solder continue to provide a sound, leak-proof joint?

Take it apart, clean it, reflux. then just resolder it.
Unless there is a good reason, it is easier to use a new part; reused parts
are often a problem.

Are you asking if you can just heat it and rotate it? If your joint was
perfect the first time it "ought" to be okay, but I wouldn't take the
chance.

Old April 24th 06, 05:25 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"Les" wrote in message
oups.com...
I started a plumbing project and changed my mind mid-project. Is it
safe to reheat a joint and turn an elbow 180 degrees? By safe, I mean,
will the solder continue to provide a sound, leak-proof joint?

Yes. If it was done right you have enough solder and it is not exposed to
air so it will not oxidize either. Take care not to overheat the joint.

Old April 24th 06, 07:56 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Les" wrote in message
oups.com...
I started a plumbing project and changed my mind mid-project. Is it
safe to reheat a joint and turn an elbow 180 degrees? By safe, I mean,
will the solder continue to provide a sound, leak-proof joint?

Yes. If it was done right you have enough solder and it is not exposed to
air so it will not oxidize either. Take care not to overheat the joint.

I agree. Heat it, rotate it, and then run some more solder around the
joint and it should be fine.

Soldering copper pipe connected to PEX D Duddles Home Repair 14 January 9th 06 01:27 AM
In Deep Sh*t.... Lobster UK diy 9 August 2nd 05 10:30 PM
Brazing VS Soldering copper gas pipes sawtooth Home Repair 18 January 25th 05 12:29 AM
Copper pipe sizing. Is bigger better? Paul J Home Repair 19 February 29th 04 08:52 PM
Ground to Gas Pipe?? w_tom Home Repair 4 June 23rd 03 10:14 AM