Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat

Default Buzzing Outlet

I have a outlet (standard 3 prong household, not gfci) that makes a low
tone buzz when in use. Currently the stereo and TV are plugged in to
it. With the stereo on the buzz (more like a humm) is very faint, but
with the TV on it is very noticable. I replaced the outlet but the
noise is still there. What else can I do to eliminate the buzz?

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

That is unusual. I suggest you unscrew the outlet from the wall and pull it
out a bit and than listen for the buzz. You need to determine if it really
is from the receptacle or something nearby. I like to use a cardboard
paper towel tube up to my ear to listen more directionally (kind of like a
stethoscope).

Use an outlet tester (the three prong thing with the lights that tell you if
there is a wiring fault) to confirm continuity and proper hot neutral
connection (though that wouldn't necessarily cause a buzz).

Do other Loads in this outlet cause the Buzz. A defective power supply in
the TV might be feeding electrical noise back into the branch causing (and I
am not sure how) something to vibrate.

Are you sure you are not just hearing noise from a different source (inside
the TV)reflected off the wall near the receptacle?. Use some objects to
block extranious noise paths.

"Pat" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a outlet (standard 3 prong household, not gfci) that makes a low
tone buzz when in use. Currently the stereo and TV are plugged in to
it. With the stereo on the buzz (more like a humm) is very faint, but
with the TV on it is very noticable. I replaced the outlet but the
noise is still there. What else can I do to eliminate the buzz?

Posted to alt.home.repair
SQLit

"Pat" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a outlet (standard 3 prong household, not gfci) that makes a low
tone buzz when in use. Currently the stereo and TV are plugged in to
it. With the stereo on the buzz (more like a humm) is very faint, but
with the TV on it is very noticable. I replaced the outlet but the
noise is still there. What else can I do to eliminate the buzz?

give it the words,

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Pat wrote:
I have a outlet (standard 3 prong household, not gfci) that makes a low
tone buzz when in use. Currently the stereo and TV are plugged in to
it. With the stereo on the buzz (more like a humm) is very faint, but
with the TV on it is very noticable. I replaced the outlet but the
noise is still there. What else can I do to eliminate the buzz?

How old is your home. IT could be aluminum wire going bad or maybe just
an bad connection. Aluminum wire is a special problem and if you have that
you may have more than one problem. If it is newer home it will be copper
wire and it still could be the connection to the outlet, especially if it is
a back stab design where the wires are just stuck in the back and now
screwed down on the side.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Phisherman

On 24 Apr 2006 17:40:45 -0700, "Pat" wrote:

I have a outlet (standard 3 prong household, not gfci) that makes a low
tone buzz when in use. Currently the stereo and TV are plugged in to
it. With the stereo on the buzz (more like a humm) is very faint, but
with the TV on it is very noticable. I replaced the outlet but the
noise is still there. What else can I do to eliminate the buzz?

Replacing the outlet should have solved the issue. My first look
would be checking for any loose connections. With the circuit OFF,
tug on wires that are connected with a wire nut to make sure these
connections are tight. Other things to consider: There may be
something wrong with the circuit breaker (in the electrical box). You
may be hearing a noise from another (unseen) source.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bud--

Pat wrote:

I have a outlet (standard 3 prong household, not gfci) that makes a low
tone buzz when in use. Currently the stereo and TV are plugged in to
it. With the stereo on the buzz (more like a humm) is very faint, but
with the TV on it is very noticable. I replaced the outlet but the
noise is still there. What else can I do to eliminate the buzz?

Current in the wire produces a magnetic field. The TV probably has a
higher current, and magnetic field, than the stereo. A possibility is
that the current causes movement of loose steel, or other magnetic
material. Hum (120Hz) can be produced by normal power usage, as above. A
sizzing sound is produced by arcing. The pseudo-stethoscope of PipeDown
sounds like a good plan.

bud--
Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat

Thank you all, I will work on it this weekend and report back. Thanks
again, PAt