Posted to alt.home.repair
Phisherman

Default Buzzing Outlet

On 24 Apr 2006 17:40:45 -0700, "Pat" wrote:

I have a outlet (standard 3 prong household, not gfci) that makes a low
tone buzz when in use. Currently the stereo and TV are plugged in to
it. With the stereo on the buzz (more like a humm) is very faint, but
with the TV on it is very noticable. I replaced the outlet but the
noise is still there. What else can I do to eliminate the buzz?

Replacing the outlet should have solved the issue. My first look
would be checking for any loose connections. With the circuit OFF,
tug on wires that are connected with a wire nut to make sure these
connections are tight. Other things to consider: There may be
something wrong with the circuit breaker (in the electrical box). You
may be hearing a noise from another (unseen) source.