Posted to alt.food.barbeque,alt.home.repair
JKleisli

Default Fixing up an cast aluminum grill . . . .

Hi, I am fixing up an old gas grill that came with my house. I already
painted the outside and replaced the burners and its great so far. But on
the inside of the grill covers, besides the grease, there was a black
coating they had on them that was peeling. So I took a sander to them and
the inside is down to bare alimunum. Is it alright to leave it that way or
should they be treated some how? I'm hesistant to paint them just because
the high heat paint I used on the outside says it shouldn't be used on
surface that comes in direct contact with flame (although the covers might
not get that much contact with flame I suppose). Any advice would be
appreciated.

Posted to alt.food.barbeque,alt.home.repair
Abe

I disassembled my gas grill and put the parts in my self cleaning
oven. It came out looking brand new

Good idea, I'll have to remember that.
Posted to alt.food.barbeque,alt.home.repair
Mike

JKleisli wrote:

Hi, I am fixing up an old gas grill that came with my house. I already
painted the outside and replaced the burners and its great so far. But on
the inside of the grill covers, besides the grease, there was a black
coating they had on them that was peeling. So I took a sander to them and
the inside is down to bare alimunum. Is it alright to leave it that way or
should they be treated some how? I'm hesistant to paint them just because
the high heat paint I used on the outside says it shouldn't be used on
surface that comes in direct contact with flame (although the covers might
not get that much contact with flame I suppose). Any advice would be
appreciated.

I seem to recall that Weber has indicated that this peeling black
coating on the inside cover was burnt grease / smoke. And could be
cleaned, but sanding down to bare metal was not necessary.

-Mike
Posted to alt.food.barbeque,alt.home.repair
JKleisli

I seem to recall that Weber has indicated that this peeling black
coating on the inside cover was burnt grease / smoke. And could be
cleaned, but sanding down to bare metal was not necessary.

-Mike

There was a bit of rust too and I think the original owners (it hasn't been
used in eight years) might have put something on there that was pealing.
You're probably right though, I think I would have been better off just
scraping it and using some oven cleaner and leaving it alone. Otherwise the
grill looks and works great though. The covers are pretty high and away
from the flames so I'm tempted to paint it but I'll probably just keep an
eye on the aluminum and make sure it doesn't pit/rust or whatever in the
future unless I get another good idea.
Posted to alt.food.barbeque,alt.home.repair
Jay

"JKleisli" wrote in message
Hi, I am fixing up an old gas grill that came with my house. I already
painted the outside and replaced the burners and its great so far. But on
the inside of the grill covers, besides the grease, there was a black
coating they had on them that was peeling. So I took a sander to them and
the inside is down to bare alimunum. Is it alright to leave it that way or
should they be treated some how? I'm hesistant to paint them just because
the high heat paint I used on the outside says it shouldn't be used on
surface that comes in direct contact with flame (although the covers might
not get that much contact with flame I suppose). Any advice would be
appreciated.

Ask this question over on alt.food.barbecue and you'll get the definitive
answer. Those guys LIVE grills of all types!!!!

Posted to alt.food.barbeque,alt.home.repair
u_s_s

"Jay" wrote in message
et...
"JKleisli" wrote in message
Hi, I am fixing up an old gas grill that came with my house. I already
painted the outside and replaced the burners and its great so far. But on
the inside of the grill covers, besides the grease, there was a black
coating they had on them that was peeling. So I took a sander to them and
the inside is down to bare alimunum. Is it alright to leave it that way
or
should they be treated some how? I'm hesistant to paint them just because
the high heat paint I used on the outside says it shouldn't be used on
surface that comes in direct contact with flame (although the covers
might
not get that much contact with flame I suppose). Any advice would be
appreciated.

Ask this question over on alt.food.barbecue and you'll get the definitive
answer. Those guys LIVE grills of all types!!!!

No, those guys live (if you can call it that) to get into endless online
****ing contests that are, for the most part, wholly unrelated to barbecue.

Posted to alt.food.barbeque,alt.home.repair

alunimum rusts by converting itself to whuite dust. so thats what to
look for. I was told this white dust is its natural state before being
mined.

years ago at the henry ford museum I saw lots of edisons inventions
turning to white powder and asked a curator. since then they added a
sophiscted heating and AC system to slow this.

Its primarily a problem in warm moist summer conditions